california license timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I was wondering if any 2012 grads already received their license to practice. I turned in my application a week ago and was wondering how long the whole process would take since jobs are pending on this piece of paper. I also learned that to take the law exam the board would have to authorize it after the application is submitted? If so, anyone know how long they'll provide with that number after the application has been sent in? Any input on this whole process would be appreciated thanks!!! Also, it's scary to know that if you fail the law test the waiting time to re-take the exam is 6 MONTHS, that's pretty ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

hi. I recently moved to CA and started the licensure process. I was wondering about the timeline myself. When I spoke with people at the State board I was told different info ranging from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. I was wondering how long it took for you to receive notification about the exam. Also, how was the law exam? Was it straightforward and reflective of the laws listed on the state board website. I am beginning to get worried about the time to process all this since I can't look for jobs and get started if the licensure process is delayed. Thanks.

After you submit your application it takes 4-6 weeks for them to process it and give you information on the exam. After you take and pass the exam you should receive your license within 2 weeks (I got mine in 1). The longest wait is the initial period when they have to 'process' your information into their system. Also, do whatever you can to get the livescan and NOT DO THE HARDHARD way which takes approx forever to get through whereas livescan gets processed in 2 days. The exam itself was fairly easy assuming you studied the right material. Talk to people who took the test before that would be the most helpful to get an idea on what topics are covered on the exam.

hi. Thanks. I finally got the info needed to sign up for the law exam which I am taking soon. I am a little worried that you have to wait 180 days to retake the exam! I am basically studying the law guide book which is about 200 pages long. I also saw a study plan which looked like part 2 of NBEO. Which material did you study? Thanks for your input!