California Licensure Requirements, IL to CA NAPLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djblade1501

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend pharmacy school in Illinois and am graduating in 2 weeks. I am moving to California and wanted to know at what point can I apply for my Naplex licensure approval from California Boards. Any links that you can point me to will help as well. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also planning to get california license...and I graduated in VA.
I don't know exactly about Intern hours affidavit.
Do I need to get the signature from each preceptor who I worked thru last whole year?
If somebody knows about the difference for out state students, please give me information.
Thank you!

Hey, I'm from Arizona and moving to CA for a residency this year. The CA paperwork is a long process, but doable! I applied for both the pharmacist and intern license, just so I could be licensed at least as an intern at the start of my program since I'm taking my boards in mid-July (CPJE and NAPLEX). Just keep in mind you need to get 2 fingerprint forms just for your pharmacist license, and you can only get your fingerprints done on the forms provided by the CA state board - I would call them (916) 574-7900) and request them that way (they sent them to me within 3 business days).

Here's the link to the Pharmacist application: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf

*Page 6/16: yes, you need to go get a passport size picture taken and tape it into the given area. Get 2 if you're also completing an intern application.

*Page 8-10/16: just sign these pages

*Page 11/16: yes you need to have each of your preceptors sign this form (so print out multiple copies). I called the board and spoke to someone directly about this. You CAN have your school's director of rotations person sign off on up to 600 hours. so what I did was:

school: 600 hours
work: 140 hours
rotations: qs to 1500 hours. I did some out of state rotations, so I got as many preceptors in state as I could to sign off.

*Page 14/16: did not fill this out

*Transcript: the school needs to directly send your transcript to the state board of CA. Verify with your school before you request this that your **degree has been posted**

*Money: I wrote a check for $249 - this pharmacist application ($200) and fees for fingerprint processing ($49).

That should be it for the pharmacist application!! They were actually very fast to get back to me as well - I was able to sign up for the CPJE within about 10 days after I sent everything in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm from Arizona and moving to CA for a residency this year. The CA paperwork is a long process, but doable! I applied for both the pharmacist and intern license, just so I could be licensed at least as an intern at the start of my program since I'm taking my boards in mid-July (CPJE and NAPLEX). Just keep in mind you need to get 2 fingerprint forms just for your pharmacist license, and you can only get your fingerprints done on the forms provided by the CA state board - I would call them (916) 574-7900) and request them that way (they sent them to me within 3 business days).

Here's the link to the Pharmacist application: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf

*Page 6/16: yes, you need to go get a passport size picture taken and tape it into the given area. Get 2 if you're also completing an intern application.

*Page 11/16: yes you need to have each of your preceptors sign this form (so print out multiple copies). I called the board and spoke to someone directly about this. You CAN have your school's director of rotations person sign off on up to 600 hours. so what I did was:

rotations: qs to 1500 hours. I did some out of state rotations, so I got as many preceptors in state as I could to sign off.

*Transcript: the school needs to directly send your transcript to the state board of CA. Verify with your school before you request this that your **degree has been posted**

*Money: I wrote a check for $249 - this pharmacist application ($200) and fees for fingerprint processing ($49).

That should be it for the pharmacist application!! They were actually very fast to get back to me as well - I was able to sign up for the CPJE within about 10 days after I sent everything in.

Do you mind me asking where you graduated from? U of A? How long did you take from the time you sent it in and you were able to sit for the Naplex & CPJE?

Did you have problems with the boards as far as your intern hours affidavits goes?

I have heard that there are problems with the board saying that it needs to be in blue ink instead of black ink but dont know if you encountered this problem.

Thanks for the clarification.

After I sent in my paperwork, I was able to sign up for the exams within about 10-14 days. It was fairly quick. I'm taking the CPJE and NAPLEX in July.

As far as the intern hours...I didn't have a problem at all. I even had some of my preceptors sign and scan the form with their signature on it so I didn't have to physically go to my rotation sites.

Hope that helps!!

Thank you so much for this post. It really cleared up a lot for me. I do have one question. I have 700 hours from an independent pharmacy and 800 from Rite Aid. Would it be okay to just send in two copies of the Intern Affidavit? Do I even need to bother with the hours I obtained from school?