California Northstate University Post Bac / Touro MSMHS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKGB1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am applying to various post bacs including CNSU and Touro's. I was hoping to get some info on students experience with the CNSU program. There aren't any recent threads about it. I am curious about how the classes are like, would they recommend going there, etc. CNSU is my first choice because its close to home.

Members don't see this ad.

Do yourself a favor and find door #3.
I am applying to a few others too but this is my main, so I just wanted to know if there's something I should be aware of

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to a few others too but this is my main, so I just wanted to know if there's something I should be aware of
I've interviewed a number of people from the Touro MS program. Quite sharp. Unfortunately, their Touro connections means that typically end up going to Touro.
Due to the unethical behavior of CNU, I can't recommend their SMP.

I've interviewed a number of people from the Touro MS program. Quite sharp. Unfortunately, their Touro connections means that typically end up going to Touro.
Due to the unethical behavior of CNU, I can't recommend their SMP.
I just read that monstrous thread about CNU from 2017 and it gave me a headache. I don't think they offer federal loans yet and It seems like they might have financial issues later. It was a bit hard to understand everything. Also I dont know if private student loans offer deferred interest until students graduate. I do know that I don't want to fall into their financial trap.
Saw this post on reddit and it seems to offer a different opinion

Well, considering that CNU's inaugural class had a median MCAT score of ~514 (no surprise for a CA school), it stands to reason that the kids would do well on Steps. Mind you, I have no ill will towards CNU students, only toward the business ethics of their organization. They STILL have not made Federal loans available for thier students, even after fours years of operations. This gives you an insight into their attitudes towards the well-being of their students.

As an aside, CNU's first match was more typical of your average DO school. But this is getting away from the point of your OP.

I have been told by a close friend who is on faculty at a Pharmacy school that CNU's Pharm school is is big trouble, due to the glut of Pharmacists and the oversupply of Pharm school seats. This may very well affect the med school in the near future. Time will tell.

Well, considering that CNU's inaugural class had a median MCAT score of ~514 (no surprise for a CA school), it stands to reason that the kids would do well on Steps. Mind you, I have no ill will towards CNU students, only toward the business ethics of their organization. They STILL have not made Federal loans available for thier students, even after fours years of operations. This gives you an insight into their attitudes towards the well-being of their students.

As an aside, CNU's first match was more typical of your average DO school. But this is getting away from the point of your OP.

I have been told by a close friend who is on faculty at a Pharmacy school that CNU's Pharm school is is big trouble, due to the glut of Pharmacists and the oversupply of Pharm school seats. This may very well affect the med school in the near future. Time will tell.
That's interesting. I was thinking that their situation was improving because they are opening a teaching hospital but I guess its still early to tell. I have time. though. I actually decided I want to get into Touro SMP instead. A SMP suits my purpose better than a post bac, plus Touro offers federal loans. Thank you for all your advice! I'm glad we have this forum!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just wanted to let people know that I got accepted for Touro's MSMHS program! I would like to thank everyone in this community for helping me out.

Hey guys! I just wanted to let people know that I got accepted for Touro's MSMHS program! I would like to thank everyone in this community for helping me out.
Hey! I plan to go to northstate! Did you end up applying there also?

I just finished my first year of medical school today at CNU. I got into other MD schools in America but chose to stay here because I wanted to stay close to home. Best decision of my life, don't believe the stuff you read on here. Feel free to ask me anything.

I just finished my first year of medical school today at CNU. I got into other MD schools in America but chose to stay here because I wanted to stay close to home. Best decision of my life, don't believe the stuff you read on here. Feel free to ask me anything.
Hi. Congrats!! May I email you for questions? I am interested in attending north state and want to more about their post bacc program. I am currently an FNP and I work in primary care.

Hi. Congrats!! May I email you for questions? I am interested in attending north state and want to more about their post bacc program. I am currently an FNP and I work in primary care.

Sure feel free to ask me anything I pmed you.

Congrats on starting your 2nd year! I was also looking to apply to CNU and was interested in their post bacc. Could I ask you some questions about their programs?

Hi! could I PM you with some questions>