California post bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyon,

I am in the process of gathering info regarding post bacc programs in California. I figure it would take a lot of time and additional classes to bring up my undergrad gpa with any significance.

So....I was considering enrolling into a good post baccalaureate program in order to have a new/fresh post grad GPA that can be distinugished easily by the dental schools.

I have ran a few searches over yahoo and came up with very little. Anyone able share ANY kind of info regarding the various post bacc programs in SoCal?

I would appericiate any info regarding the followig:

1. Length of the program
2. Difficulty of the program (desperately need the A's :) )
3. Tuition (as always....cheaper the better)
4. Personal experience (if any)

I would really appericiate ANY and ALL help

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

crazy_sherm said:
This link should help you answer your first and third question.
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

sorry, i don't have any personal experience on the subject though. Good luck!

Thanks for the useful link!!

The Loma Linda University: Biomedical Sciences Certificate program caught my interest as I have only heard positives about the school from my friends that currently attend dental school there.

It also looks like the post bacc program at Loma Linda that can be finished in 10 months. I don't quite meet the 3.0 gpa requirment....but I figure it would be worth the shot to find out. I just sent them an email about not meeting the gpa requirment.

Also, I wasnt able to find any information about the program guaranteeing me a admission into loma linda dental....but I figured it would def be a big help?

The program is called Loma Linda University: Biomedical Sciences Certificate. Has anyone heard anything positive or negative regarding the program (difficulty, success stories, etc)?

As always....REALLY appericate the help

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
It is very competitive to gain admission into LLUs Biomedical Sciences Certificate program...they accept under 10 students per year, closer to 5.

What are the published requirements? How far away are you? Maybe they have increased over the past couple of years considering the overall difficulty attaining admission into dental schools.

lake04 said:
It is very competitive to gain admission into LLUs Biomedical Sciences Certificate program...they accept under 10 students per year, closer to 5.

What are the published requirements? How far away are you? Maybe they have increased over the past couple of years considering the overall difficulty attaining admission into dental schools.
DOnt do an official pstbac program, just take extra upper division classes and get good grades on them. or just do a 2 year masters in a medical science

lake04 said:

WOW....5 TOTAL? That actually sounds beyond competitive. They listed a 3.0 min gpa....and I am below that number.

As for why I would prefer post bacc over a taking additional sci classes at a 4 yr university is because a few additional classes in my case will not significantly improve my gpa enough overall. So I was under the impression that I needed to enroll into a graduate program in order to have the dental schools see two seperate sets of grades (my poor undergrad gpa and hopefully the improved...good graduate GPA).

And because I would prefer to study full time for just a yr (post bacc) as opposed to two yrs (masters)....I was looking more into enrolling into the post bacc program.

So loma linda biomedical post bacc is pretty difficult to gain acceptance into huh?

Anyone able to recommend another program in California (socal prefered).

Thanks

Anyone interested in the San Jose State University Post-Bac program that I'm in? If you are, just reply, and I can tell you tons about it.

jk5177 said:
Anyone interested in the San Jose State University Post-Bac program that I'm in? If you are, just reply, and I can tell you tons about it.

I am interested. Whats the level of difficulty in terms of gaining acceptance? Also, will the grades I earn in through the program just get added onto my undergrad gpa or will it show up sperately as a graduate schoo gpa?

Oh....one more....

Is the program a two yr program/commitment?

Thanks

Hey:

Although its tough to get into you should still apply...don't discard it completely. Talk to the program director and discuss your chances. I'm not aware of any other post bacc programs in socal that are geared towards dental school, most are used as stepping stones into med school.

:)

lake04 said:
Hey:

Although its tough to get into you should still apply...don't discard it completely. Talk to the program director and discuss your chances. I'm not aware of any other post bacc programs in socal that are geared towards dental school, most are used as stepping stones into med school.

:)

Yea, I def still plan to give it a shot. I emailed the program director today and tried to explain my situation (especially about falling shy of the gpa reqirement) and he suggested I do well on the DAT and apply. I guess he couldnt have said much more considering he only had my email to go by. But either way, I am planning to really study for the DAT and give it a shot.

But meanwhile, I wanted to fully explore all of my options in regards to one yr post bacc programs first, and if all fails....perhaps a two yr masters (which I would like to advoid).

I am very new to all this and I guess was just hoping for some advise/help/info/persoanl experience.....really ANYTHING :)