POST BACC programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZC

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an accredited online post bacc program that dental schools will accept? I graduated in 2020 with a 2.7 cGPA and sGPA 2.26. I currently work full time as a dental assistant and would like to keep working while studying to help pay for post bacc programs. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That GPA might be tough to recover with even a post bacc. You might be taking 30+ credits to try and break 3.0. A master's program may be a good option to look into as well.

If the credits are coming from an accredited university I would say most schools should accept that. Just make sure the labs aren't online and double check to make sure schools will accept the online credits. You could reach out to your nearest school to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of an accredited online post bacc program that dental schools will accept? I graduated in 2020 with a 2.7 cGPA and sGPA 2.26. I currently work full time as a dental assistant and would like to keep working while studying to help pay for post bacc programs. Any advice? Thanks!
post bacc not likely to help
they are considered part of your undergraduate gpa, and would be calculated with the credits you already have
you need to take a masters, which is considered graduate gpa
but you are still up against a steep wall...

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your GPA breakdown from your freshman-senior year?

Also what state do you live in?

What's your GPA breakdown from your freshman-senior year?

Also what state do you live in?
Freshman- Fall (2.78) Spring (3.07)
Sophomore- Fall (2.63), Summer- (2.5-1 class chem with lab), Spring- (3.12)
Junior- Fall (2.14) Spring-(1.92)
Senior- Fall (2.43) Spring-(2.76) Fall/my last semester-(3.53)

I live in Georgia.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much a post-bacc would help you as we said earlier. But the other problem is that your GPA may be too low to even get into a master's program without showing some improvement in coursework.

I see it as you take a post bacc, proving you can do better in your coursework. Strive to get at least a 3.6 or higher over 30+ credits, and then apply to a master's program from there and do exceedingly well. That may be what it takes to get into dental school since there really isn't an upward trend other than your 3.53 in your very last semester (which is promising, but you don't have any other coursework after that) which would make a master's program be hesitant to take you without showing you can handle harder/more rigorous graduate coursework.

The other issue is if you want this, you need to put everything into school. Working full-time while in school may not be beneficial if you can't do well in the classes, and you need to do well if you want any chance of admission. As brutally honest as it is, you have a steep curve ahead. If you can do well on your DAT that may alleviate some concerns from schools as well, but you should take that test when you've finished your coursework and have some general idea of where you stand as an applicant.

What was your degree in? Biological sciences, or engineering?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much a post-bacc would help you as we said earlier. But the other problem is that your GPA may be too low to even get into a master's program without showing some improvement in coursework.

I see it as you take a post bacc, proving you can do better in your coursework. Strive to get at least a 3.6 or higher over 30+ credits, and then apply to a master's program from there and do exceedingly well. That may be what it takes to get into dental school since there really isn't an upward trend other than your 3.53 in your very last semester (which is promising, but you don't have any other coursework after that) which would make a master's program be hesitant to take you without showing you can handle harder/more rigorous graduate coursework.

The other issue is if you want this, you need to put everything into school. Working full-time while in school may not be beneficial if you can't do well in the classes, and you need to do well if you want any chance of admission. As brutally honest as it is, you have a steep curve ahead. If you can do well on your DAT that may alleviate some concerns from schools as well, but you should take that test when you've finished your coursework and have some general idea of where you stand as an applicant.

What was your degree in? Biological sciences, or engineering?
Yeah, I figured it will be a journey for me. I will mention that there are some classes i have re-taken during my time in undergrad and I'm not sure if dental schools still average the 1st grade, I received with the new grade I received after retaking those courses. So those gpa given were just an overall view of the classes I took and retaken. Should I re-calculate the gpa without the grades i had received the first time? And I know there are about 3 classes I have received a letter grade 'D' but have not retaken yet. My degree was in Biology.

Yeah, I figured it will be a journey for me. I will mention that there are some classes i have re-taken during my time in undergrad and I'm not sure if dental schools still average the 1st grade, I received with the new grade I received after retaking those courses. So those gpa given were just an overall view of the classes I took and retaken. Should I re-calculate the gpa without the grades i had received the first time? And I know there are about 3 classes I have received a letter grade 'D' but have not retaken yet. My degree was in Biology.
Dental schools, actually AADSAS, will average the grades between the original grade and retake. so if you get a D in one class and an A in the same class as a retake, you're gpa for the class will be calculated as a 2.5 (4.0+1.0 / 2), or a ~C+. But they will see the improved grade and will take that into consideration.

Freshman- Fall (2.78) Spring (3.07)
Sophomore- Fall (2.63), Summer- (2.5-1 class chem with lab), Spring- (3.12)
Junior- Fall (2.14) Spring-(1.92)
Senior- Fall (2.43) Spring-(2.76) Fall/my last semester-(3.53)

I live in Georgia.
I love seeing the 3.53 last semester. I did just post this on another form but here you go:

Master Programs:
Dental:
Roseman: Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MBS)
guaranteed interview $25k (online or in-person)

BU: Master of Science in Oral Health Sciences | Graduate Medical Sciences
$69k - 90% get accepted into Dschool, take courses w/D1s

Colorado: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) MHA Pathway to Dentistry Program
*Reserved DMD acceptance* - to late to apply :/

Dental & Medical:
LECOM: Masters of Medical Science Curriculum - Bradenton
$22k (online or in-person) - guaranteed interview

Midwestern (AZ): College of Graduate Studies, Glendale Campus
bridge program? $60k

Midwestern (IL): College of Graduate Studies, Downers Grove Campus
bridge program, $60k

NOVA: Master of Biomedical Sciences
$40k - used to be guaranteed acceptance, now guaranteed interview

Medicine & dental?? - set up a meeting and ask if you are interested, for sure medical though
Loma Linda: Biomedical Sciences — M.M.S. < Loma Linda University

Post-bacc:
**note most post-bacc you need to finance yourself, no/minimal student loans**

Temple: Postbaccalaureate Admissions
$45k

Marquette: BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES PRE-DENTAL POST-BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM (BMPD) // Biomedical Sciences // Marquette University
$35k - guaranteed interview

Creighton: Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate
Reserved seat for DMD

There are many more programs than this; these are just some of the programs that are well-known and linked to a dental school. If it were me, I would stay away from midwestern, BU, and the post-bacc programs (besides creighton) solely for how expensive they are. Do you really want to pay $70k for a Masters and then pay another $360k for your dental school tuition? That's not counting all of the other costs... (fees, living, etc.)

The main programs I would be interested in are LECOMs ($22k - Online) or Roseman ($25K), but I would do Roseman in-person. You would save a lot of money compared to the other programs.
Both dental schools are inexpensive compared to most -
LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman
$90k x 3 = $270k (3-year program) - also the extra year of income

Honestly for you, you might like LECOMs Master's the most. You can take it online. The curriculum is difficult (class from 8-5pm), so you won't have time for a job. However, if you prove yourself in the program, it would look good for all schools. You are going to need to shoot for a 4.0 gpa. I don't see you working while you are in a Master's program, most are 8-5, and you need to grind.

You could do Roseman's also, but I don't think your localized gpa will be above a 3.0 for their dental school requirements (last 30 science credits). Either way, right now, you should enroll in some online upper sciences courses to increase your gpa & sgpa. If you are interested message me and I'll send you some info on that.

Whatever you do, I would start applying ASAP to any/all programs, and make sure you choose one that's linked to a dental school!
Also verify w/the programs, make sure it is a guaranteed interview or acceptance because that changes consistently. Take with the program directors, tell them your gpa & DAT, see what they think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'll be honest with you, even though it may not be pleasant to hear. If you are Black, Hispanic, or American Indian and can demonstrate a significant upward trajectory in your postbaccalaureate or master's program, there may be a chance for you to be accepted into Black dental schools or very expensive private dental schools. However, if you are White (including middle eastern origin) or Asian, it is extremely difficult to gain acceptance unless you have outstanding accomplishments in other areas or a particularly tragic personal history. It will be worse if you are male and not LGBTQ+ in either case. This may be an unfair and unjust reality, but it is the current state of affairs.

• Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
I love seeing the 3.53 last semester. I did just post this on another form but here you go:

Master Programs:
Dental:

Dental & Medical:

bridge program? $60k

bridge program, $60k

Medicine & dental?? - set up a meeting and ask if you are interested, for sure medical though

Post-bacc:

$45k

Marquette: BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES PRE-DENTAL POST-BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM (BMPD) // Biomedical Sciences // Marquette University

Reserved seat for DMD

There are many more programs than this; these are just some of the programs that are well-known and linked to a dental school. If it were me, I would stay away from midwestern, BU, and the post-bacc programs (besides creighton) solely for how expensive they are. Do you really want to pay $70k for a Masters and then pay another $360k for your dental school tuition? That's not counting all of the other costs... (fees, living, etc.)

The main programs I would be interested in are LECOMs ($22k - Online) or Roseman ($25K), but I would do Roseman in-person. You would save a lot of money compared to the other programs.
LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman

Honestly for you, you might like LECOMs Master's the most. You can take it online. The curriculum is difficult (class from 8-5pm), so you won't have time for a job. However, if you prove yourself in the program, it would look good for all schools. You are going to need to shoot for a 4.0 gpa. I don't see you working while you are in a Master's program, most are 8-5, and you need to grind.

You could do Roseman's also, but I don't think your localized gpa will be above a 3.0 for their dental school requirements (last 30 science credits). Either way, right now, you should enroll in some online upper sciences courses to increase your gpa & sgpa. If you are interested message me and I'll send you some info on that.

Whatever you do, I would start applying ASAP to any/all programs, and make sure you choose one that's linked to a dental school!
Also verify w/the programs, make sure it is a guaranteed interview or acceptance because that changes consistently. Take with the program directors, tell them your gpa & DAT, see what they think.
WOW! Thank you for this! I really appreciate everyone's feedback it really helps me put things into perspective. I will definitely look into these programs.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Master Programs:
Dental:

Dental & Medical:

bridge program? $60k

bridge program, $60k

Post-bacc:

$45k

Reserved seat for DMD

LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman

Thanks for this info, very insightful.

Where did you see that LECOM offers its masters online? I emailed them and they said it's only in-person.

Also, what reasons do you have for recommending Roseman masters in-person, and not online? They seem to have a great online program, so just wanted to get your feedback on it.

You have received a lot of great advice, but if you have a specific dental school in mind, I encourage you to reach out to them directly for guidance.

Good luck! I have seen many students like yourself pursue this path and become successful dentists. Don't give up on your dream. Keep pushing forward! - Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this info, very insightful.

Where did you see that LECOM offers its masters online? I emailed them and they said it's only in-person.

Also, what reasons do you have for recommending Roseman masters in-person, and not online? They seem to have a great online program, so just wanted to get your feedback on it.
Unfortunately, it looks like they changed the program from last year to this year at LECOM. During Covid, they were offering it online for a few years. It sounds like the next cohort is only in person.

The biggest perk to doing the MBS in person is you can meet with and interact with the dental faculty and students. Whereas online, you won't be able to have those interactions (the same goes for most programs). People do succeed/get accepted into a dental school that take the Roseman MBS one online (same with other programs). However, you should have better connections if you take the program in person.
You can absolutely succeed by taking it online, though.

Unfortunately, it looks like they changed the program from last year to this year at LECOM. During Covid, they were offering it online for a few years. It sounds like the next cohort is only in person.

The biggest perk to doing the MBS in person is you can meet with and interact with the dental faculty and students. Whereas online, you won't be able to have those interactions (the same goes for most programs). People do succeed/get accepted into a dental school that take the Roseman MBS one online (same with other programs). However, you should have better connections if you take the program in person.
You can absolutely succeed by taking it online, though.
That makes more sense. I actually just applied to Roseman MBS. I was looking at their course catalog, and saw it’s not heavily involved with science courses.

I’m going to be attaching a screenshot of the MBS courses here. Please let me know your thoughts, and if you’d recommend taking additional upper-level science courses with this program.

Attachments

• IMG_1673.png
    IMG_1673.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 31
Hmm... @OncePreDent: what are the conditions for getting interviewed at Roseman? Is the MBS interprofessional?

For @bentonsheets : it's worth asking the program staff. Here is the page on the conditions for acceptance:

Hmm... @OncePreDent: what are the conditions for getting interviewed at Roseman? Is the MBS interprofessional?

For @bentonsheets : it's worth asking the program staff. Here is the page on the conditions for acceptance:
They call it a "Priority consideration to the CODM."

1706372511001.png

You are guaranteed an interview at their dental school if you attend the program (not guaranteed acceptances). Meaning you have to preform in the program and I would also try to make some connections with the dental school faculty as well that teach the program. Basically if you have a 17+ in every section on the DAT and your last 30 credit hours in sciences course are above a 3.0 you will be garanteed an interview pre-december and could find out if you are accepted into dental school december 15th.

I have also heard of students from the MBS program getting interview invites to the Pharmacy program at Roseman without even applying to the pharmacy school (they all declined it though). Additionally, Roseman will be opening up a new medical school next year and I am sure the MBS program will be connected to that as well.

That makes more sense. I actually just applied to Roseman MBS. I was looking at their course catalog, and saw it’s not heavily involved with science courses.

I’m going to be attaching a screenshot of the MBS courses here. Please let me know your thoughts, and if you’d recommend taking additional upper-level science courses with this program.
What is your current DAT/gpa. I know a few students that are currently taking additional sciences courses while attending the master's program. I believe through UNE online or UCSD extension.

What is your current DAT/gpa. I know a few students that are currently taking additional sciences courses while attending the master's program. I believe through UNE online or UCSD extension.
My cumulative undergrad GPA is 3.17, which ranks my science GPA around 2.9.

Here are my DAT scores:

Attachments

• DAT .png
    DAT .png
    259.2 KB · Views: 33
They call it a "Priority consideration to the CODM."

View attachment 381681

You are guaranteed an interview at their dental school if you attend the program (not guaranteed acceptances). Meaning you have to preform in the program and I would also try to make some connections with the dental school faculty as well that teach the program. Basically if you have a 17+ in every section on the DAT and your last 30 credit hours in sciences course are above a 3.0 you will be garanteed an interview pre-december and could find out if you are accepted into dental school december 15th.

I have also heard of students from the MBS program getting interview invites to the Pharmacy program at Roseman without even applying to the pharmacy school (they all declined it though). Additionally, Roseman will be opening up a new medical school next year and I am sure the MBS program will be connected to that as well.
I currently have a 17 or higher in each section, except for QR. However, Roseman didn't list QR as a minimum requirement for admissions.

When/if I gain acceptance into the MBS program, I'm going to reach out to the CODM and see if the QR is a deal breaker or not.

And I received pharmacy school invites from different schools last time I applied. It seems like they have a smaller application pool.

Attachments

• DAT .png
    DAT .png
    259.2 KB · Views: 17
I currently have a 17 or higher in each section, except for QR. However, Roseman didn't list QR as a minimum requirement for admissions.

When/if I gain acceptance into the MBS program, I'm going to reach out to the CODM and see if the QR is a deal breaker or not.

And I received pharmacy school invites from different schools last time I applied. It seems like they have a smaller application pool.
Pharm is a given acceptance. Don’t take it thinking it will be easier or a better career. You can browse the pharm forums for more information.

Contact the school and see what they say

My cumulative undergrad GPA is 3.17, which ranks my science GPA around 2.9.

Here are my DAT scores:
what were your last 30 credit hours for science courses GPA? You can also contact admissions at Roseman to see if you qualify with your current DAT/GPA, or just wait until you find out about the master's program

what were your last 30 credit hours for science courses GPA? You can also contact admissions at Roseman to see if you qualify with your current DAT/GPA, or just wait until you find out about the master's program
@OncePreDent Not sure of my science GPA off the top of my head. But since my overall GPA is 3.17, I know my last 30 credit hours for science GPA is around 2.8. I also had two retakes, which look bad on my transcript.

Master Programs:
Dental:

Dental & Medical:

bridge program? $60k

bridge program, $60k

Post-bacc:

$45k

Reserved seat for DMD

LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman

do u think itd be beneficial to do a masters program at roseman even if im not considering applying there?