California pre-licensing classes requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I completed my graduate training out of California, and am looking for recommendations for the best (aka cheapest) place to obtain the classes required for licensure. I will obtain 3 out of the 5 through my internship, but will need to fulfill both the Domestic Abuse and Aging course requirements. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Great question...wondering if you had any luck on getting answers?

https://www.psychceu.com

Cheap, quick, and dirty. I think all of these requirements can be done online, IIRC..... although when I did them about nine years ago, I did them live.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks JeyRo.

So I have read, heard, been horrified by, etc all the threads on practicing in California. I am coming from an APA accred, funded PhD program in counseling psych, going on internship next year at an APA accred UCC. My spouses (well-established and stable) career is moving towards CA - so I am looking into options for post-doc and beyond, esp in the LA area. I am planning to join the CA Psych Association to get on list-servs, but I am curious about other resources people have found helpful for finding post-docs/jobs in CA?

Into the very jaws of the abyss!

Bumping this to see if there are any fresher ideas. I have done 4/5 of the courses through the Zur Institute: CE CEUs for Psychologists, LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors, LPCCs and Nurses | Zur Institute

At this point I am just looking for a course to satisfy the substance dependency requirement, which must be completed through an accredited institution. I have found this one: Understanding and Treating Addictive Disorders but I would rather not spend $400 on this (the other 4 courses combined cost me $189 with a discount code I found through Google).

Ideas?

I did everything except the substance abuse course through CE4less (with which my postdoc cohort negotiated a discounted rate). My postdoc thankfully offered the substance abuse course for free. I wasn't able to find much in the community for less than what you just listed. Any chance your postdoc site or another local one could offer it?

Little chance of that, unfortunately. I'll probably just pay the $400. My next employer has agreed to reimburse the cost, so I shouldn't whine too much anyway :)

I did the substance abuse class through JFK university. All of these classes were such a joke. Enjoy!

Yeah, the ones I have done were total jokes.

Thanks for the JFK "recommendation" -- their course is cheaper than the other one I found ($315 vs. $400).

Reactions: 1 user