California programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurofreak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea of average step 1 scores at anesthesia programs in CA (UCLA, USC, UCSF, Stanford)? I figured they are above the national average of 224, but wanted to get a sense of a ballpark figure, if anyone has any ideas.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea of average step 1 scores at anesthesia programs in CA (UCLA, USC, UCSF, Stanford)? I figured they are above the national average of 224, but wanted to get a sense of a ballpark figure, if anyone has any ideas.

Any and all help is appreciated.

I think Stanford was 235 or 238 a couple of years ago.

Thanks! Does anyone know if these programs tend to have specific Step 1 cutoffs for interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford's was 237 for those starting in 2008 and 240 for those starting in 2009, from what I recall.

I know some programs do have a cut off. Duke and one of the Harvard places (can't remember which) told me theirs was 230, but I don't know any numbers on west coast programs.

I know in the most recent nrmp data, the average step 1 was 226. For California programs (UCLA and related programs, UCD, UCI, UCSD, USCF, USC) what is an interview worthy score (score that won't hinder you from getting an interview, ie a solid score/avg for those programs)?

For those receiving interviews in this years application cycle, would you say from your own experience and hearing from others that >230 is still the "gold standard" for Cali programs? Higher (if so, what?)?

Current MS3 interested in anesthesiology and going back to Cali for residency if possible (going for the two for one deal). Any help/info is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance folks.

I think in 2009 the average USMLE Step 1 for applicants matching at UCSF was 241, and the average Step 2 CK was 256... but this is only an average and only one component of their applications... definitely not a cut off number. You should definitely apply regardless. I am also guessing UCSF and Stanford are two of the most competitive California programs. Southern California has a lot of other really great programs (and I have no idea what their average board scores look like)!

I think in 2009 the average USMLE Step 1 for applicants matching at UCSF was 241, and the average Step 2 CK was 256... but this is only an average and only one component of their applications... definitely not a cut off number. You should definitely apply regardless. I am also guessing UCSF and Stanford are two of the most competitive California programs. Southern California has a lot of other really great programs (and I have no idea what their average board scores look like)!

Thanks a lot for the response. I understand my question is a bit hard to answer since numbers aren't just given out "to the public". I will definitely apply regardless, but I just wanted to get a general sense of where I would stand from a numbers point (I fully understand numbers are only one part of the application and that there are many variables that go into applications).

I hope to get more insight from current applicants.

Again, thank you for your help.

At my SoCal program they reviewed ~250 applicants w/ Step 1 scores >230 which is our rough cutoff.

At my SoCal program they reviewed ~250 applicants w/ Step 1 scores >230 which is our rough cutoff.

Thanks for the input (I'm guessing this is at "Snoopy's Doghouse"). Good to know.