California Psy.D. programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArielStar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Psy.D. programs in California?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you brought this up -- I myself am looking at PsyD programs in California and am a bit disappointed. There don't seem to be a lot of reputable programs out there other than Pepperdine (which apparently requires a Master's) and PGSP-Stanford (which as we all know is ridiculously expensive). Does anyone around this forum know much about the Wright Institute?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there (The Wright Institute), though ultimately turned them down because I found a better fit (both research and training-wise). From what I remember, it was VERY welcoming and I loved the area (Bezerkley is a great area to live). Their average age of student is a bit older (28-30?), and typically has an MS already.

They didn't have enough of a research focus for me, though I really liked what I saw about their clinical training and access to professors, etc. I can't recall if they had a big slant towards psychodynamic, but I interviewed with an analyst and I only looked at programs that had at least a few profs of the orientation. You can check the Insider's Guide for more info on that kind of stuff.

They seem to have some great contacts in the area, and it seemed that most people who went there wanted to stay in the area, and/or were from the area. I'm not sure how well known they are across the US though. I'm not sure about the funding, and I know living in the area would be expensive (I had a friend who I could have lived with, but short of that....look to spend $800-$1000+/mon for housing)

It is hard to describe, but it just FELT like a really nurturing environment to learn. Oh, and the institute isn't very big and it is literally in the middle of Bezerkley, and near the B. Library. I am use to a traditional uni setup, so that was a bit different, but I liked the fact that there were students around and seemed really into what they were doing.

-t

FranniePsy typed: "Does anyone around this forum know much about the Wright Institute?"

I start there (Wright Institute) in Sept. I've heard only positive things from my former profs and local psychologists that I've done informational interviews with for research to get financial support. I grew up in the Bay Area and yes, it's expensive. I'm not certain exactly how well known they are across the country...

http://www.wrightinst.edu/

The Wright Institute does look like a nice program and I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about it. It's also relatively affordable. I am a bit concerned, however, about the 52% APPIC membership internship rate in 2006. That's pretty low (... even lower in previous years). Moreover, the 19% APA internship rate is suspect, even though they explain it by the fact that most of their students don't apply for internships on a nation-wide basis. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Any opinions?

19% do APA-approved internships? PASS. Do you really want to be one of the 81% that don't get APA-approved internships, thereby considerably limiting your job options?

Go to a school that has a 90+% match rate.

CA tends to be one of the hardest places to land an APA acreditted internship site because there are SO many CA programs, full of people who want to stay in CA. From my understanding, as long as it is CPA (cali Psych assoc) approved, you can get licensed in CA. For people who want to settle in CA, that would suffice....but i'd be concerned if I had to suddenly move somewhere else and practice. Life happens.

-t

I respectfully disagree. A CPA internship does not "suffice" if you want to have the full array of job options. If you want to work in any federal-government related job, such as a VA, you need to do a APA-internship. In fact, its an absolute requirement. If you don't do this, no matter how much experience you get later on, you just don't meet the job description.

The goal is not just to get licensed, but to get a good job as well. You're going to have a lot harder time at a Psy.D. program which will give you a 19% shot at that.

I should have specified...if you want to only do private practice in CA....then it would suffice. I don't believe it is a smart choice, nor viable option for most....but obviously many go this route. It seems that APA internship/school is the first rule out for many jobs (and an absolute rule out for places like the VA). APA acredidation is the generally accepted standard, and I'd be hesitant to go anywhere that doesn't at least meet this requirement.

-t

The previous posts provide different perspectives and important points to consider. There were some very specific things that I was looking for in a graduate program. In addition to being aware of basic information (i.e. APA accreditation, % of students at APA accredited internships, etc) it helped me to have a very clear idea of what population I personally wanted to work with, in which way, which program provided/supported that training and was also located in Cali. :)

[SIZE=-1]"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
[/SIZE]