California rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for current DO students.

Does your school allow you to set up rotations in California during your clinical years?

If so, which school do you go to? And do you know the actual sites in which your you are able to do your rotations at?

Members don't see this ad.

Every school will allow you to do electives wherever you want. It is hard to find anyone who will take a 3rd-year student for an elective if they aren't part of your affiliate list, but for 4th-year, you can do whatever you want.

If you look at the websites for various programs, they usually say that they only take 4th-year students. Sometimes you can get them to take you if you've got an elective really late in 3rd-year, and you've got all your core rotations out of the way.

What I have told you is true for every osteopathic and allopathic school. Core rotations and 3rd-year will be done with your normal affiliates. 4th-year electives wherever you want.

Every school will allow you to do electives wherever you want. It is hard to find anyone who will take a 3rd-year student for an elective if they aren't part of your affiliate list, but for 4th-year, you can do whatever you want.

If you look at the websites for various programs, they usually say that they only take 4th-year students. Sometimes you can get them to take you if you've got an elective really late in 3rd-year, and you've got all your core rotations out of the way.

What I have told you is true for every osteopathic and allopathic school. Core rotations and 3rd-year will be done with your normal affiliates. 4th-year electives wherever you want.

You can get rotations during your third year at places who have a policy of only taking fourth year students if you've done your core in that specialty (like cardio as long as you've done internal). You're going to have to do a little research and call the right people. For instance, I set up an elective during my third year at a major university hospital after being told by the medical education department that they don't take third year students by calling the department directly and explaining my interest in the field and desire to be there for residency. Sometimes they will make exceptions, but don't be surprised if they still don't let you.