California Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beautiful1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which California schools does an OOS applicant with average stats have the best chance of getting accepted to? I know deff not UCLA...
For example, if a person had to pick one of these to apply to, which would provide an OOS applicant with the best possible chance at acceptance: UoP, USC, or Western?
And is it not a good idea to apply to too many schools? Will dental schools know how many schools you applied to and see this as desperation?

Members don't see this ad.

Which California schools does an OOS applicant with average stats have the best chance of getting accepted to? I know deff not UCLA...
For example, if a person had to pick one of these to apply to, which would provide an OOS applicant with the best possible chance at acceptance: UoP, USC, or Western?
And is it not a good idea to apply to too many schools? Will dental schools know how many schools you applied to and see this as desperation?

definitely western and USC:luck:

if you had to pick ONE, which would it be? western or USC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes definitely USC

Only UCLA and UCSF are public, the other four are private and therefore indifferent towards state residency.

Last edited:
if you had to pick ONE, which would it be? western or USC?

USC is just name and I am not hearing much good stuff about them. Western is new and I would go w western if I come down to choose bw them.

haha nice. i was thinking of asking the same question, but you beat me to it. Thanks ;)

is it not a good idea to apply to too many schools? Will dental schools know how many schools you applied to and see this as desperation?

I guess everyone ignores Loma Linda? I think OOS apps have a decent shot there, particularly if your stats are average.

so with my stats and a NY resident, which CA schools are my best bet to apply to?
thanks

I guess everyone ignores Loma Linda? I think OOS apps have a decent shot there, particularly if your stats are average.

You will also need to be "seven day adventist" with a letter of recomendation from a church leader. And I think you have to take some religious courses during school there.

Well you don't HAVE to be Seventh Day Adventist. I was fortunate enough to get an interview at Loma Linda last year and I am Lutheran-Missouri Synod. I had a great time during my visit and thought it was a great school. I was waitlisted but I look forward to applying there again this cycle. btw, I only had very average gpa and dat scores when I applied last year, and was actually pretty surprised to get an interview. I guess I'm just saying don't write them off easily.

Well you don't HAVE to be Seventh Day Adventist. I was fortunate enough to get an interview at Loma Linda last year and I am Lutheran-Missouri Synod. I had a great time during my visit and thought it was a great school. I was waitlisted but I look forward to applying there again this cycle. btw, I only had very average gpa and dat scores when I applied last year, and was actually pretty surprised to get an interview. I guess I'm just saying don't write them off easily.

I agree. :thumbup:

While not being SDA certainly does not disqualify one, it does not really help the applicant's chances, in my opinion. From what I researched, Loma Linda really has a preference for SDA applicants.

Not being a SDA at Loma Linda seems more like an exception and not a rule.