California State Boards - when should I take them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rhetorical

WCVM c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN! I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight here.

I am a Canadian vet student about to start my final year (writing NAVLE in december). When I graduate I'd really like to try and get a job in California. My understanding is they have a state licensing exam that is similar to the navle and they are "best written at the same time".

I guess I'm just confused about how to best go about the order of operations. Can a Canadian even just waltz in and take that exam without having a job/visa yet? Should I wait until I get a job and then try and write the boards? Is there a normal order to these kinds of things?

Thanks for any insight...