California/Texas Medical Schools and Out of Staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasku

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Does anyone know which Texas schools have high out of state acceptances? In addition, of all the California schools, are Stanford and UCSF the only two california schools with a good out of state acceptance rate? I was looking into UCLA and heard that it was harder to get into UCLA than stanford as an out of stater.

In addition, for those who were accepted to UCSF, do you know what UCSF look for? Do they emphasize more on numbers, ECs...recs? I've known people with near perfect stats who never recieved an interview from there.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i cannot comment on the california schools since all but usc have showed me no love, but for texas schools, ut galveston and ut southwestern accept the most out of staters (i believe). i'm currently waitlisted at ut houston, if that says anything. i do know that the texas schools prefer people who have some ties to texas. hope that helps

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Anasku:
•Does anyone know which Texas schools have high out of state acceptances?•••••Relatively high: UT-Southwestern.

Not a UT school, but still it's a private Tx school: Baylor.

Good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is easier to get into Stanford as an out of stater. Stanford is private. It is easier to get into USC than Stanford however. Loma Linda is relatively easy to get into IF you are a Seventh Day Adventist. Irvine and Davis are quite near impossible to get into as an out of stater. It is very difficult to get into SD, but possible. LA and SF both take about 40% out of state, SD takes somewhere between 5-10% (closer to 5). Now of course all of these schools are in California and are thus freakishly difficult to get into regardless of your residency status. Ease of acceptance...is a relative thing.

California has three private schools: Stanford, University of Southern California & Loma Linda. They don't give state residents any preference. Out of the 5 public schools, UCSF doesn't give state residents any preference either, and UCLA may not. UC Davis, Irvine & San Diego do give significant preference to state residents.

The idea of "harder" may be misleading. Tufts turns down more applicants down per spot every year than Harvard, but applicants who get into Harvard tend to be accepted to several school, whereas Tufts acceptees are not. Which is "harder" to get into?