California Underrepresented?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed over the past years that there seems to be a disproportionately high number of folks either on the east coast going attending postbacs or folks moving to the east coast to attend postbacs.

Is it just me? Are west coast folks drawn to the east coast programs or do west coast folks juts not attend postbacs as frequently? I was thinking the fact that California junior colleges are pretty good might be one reason.

Members don't see this ad.

notdeadyet said:
I've noticed over the past years that there seems to be a disproportionately high number of folks either on the east coast going attending postbacs or folks moving to the east coast to attend postbacs.

Is it just me? Are west coast folks drawn to the east coast programs or do west coast folks juts not attend postbacs as frequently? I was thinking the fact that California junior colleges are pretty good might be one reason.

The state with the most representation at the BU MAMS program is California, I think it is the same way at GTown. All the West Coasters just come out here.

jklasser17 said:
The state with the most representation at the BU MAMS program is California, I think it is the same way at GTown. All the West Coasters just come out here.
Interesting. Any idea why that is? Are these just Californians interested in applying to other states?

California has Mills, USC and Scripps, all supposedly well respected programs. Most premeds I know in California want to attend a UC, and the placement rates of the California postbacs to the UCs are meant to be higher than others (probably due to proximity and local reputation). I know at Mills last year, there were 6 admissions to UCSF alone, and Mills ain't that big a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
SGMD1 said:
Same with the VCU/MCV Certificate...in my interview the director said about 25-30% of the class is from Cali.
Why? I understand the whole exodus for med school, but I don't think the California postbacs are ridiculously competitive, no?

There are not alot of SMPs in California, which is why alot of Californians either go to the BU or GT program. There ARE alot of underrepresented minority post-bacc opportunities though. Through most of the UC's (I went to UC Irvine) there are pretty good programs for underrepresented minorities. As for the other post-bacc programs, such as Mills, they are solely for those who have not taken their pre-reqs yet.

Trust me, there are alot of Californians who are trying to get into medical school and alot that are on the edge to success. We just have to raid the east coast to get our chance.

Booney44 said:
Trust me, there are alot of Californians who are trying to get into medical school and alot that are on the edge to success. We just have to raid the east coast to get our chance.

I mean, seriously man, can't you guys just stay on your side of the country and not screw things up for us!!!

:D

I'm a Californian going to GT SMP. For me, it's a matter of getting a degree out of it in one year. I dont think the program in California offers a Master degree out of it.

Booney44 said:
As for the other post-bacc programs, such as Mills, they are solely for those who have not taken their pre-reqs yet.
Ah, thank you. This makes sense. I researched postbacs pretty intensely, but was only looking for postbacs (not SMPs) for folks who had not taken prereqs.

Booney44 said:
Raid and conquer! And thanks for clearing the puzzle up for me...