Call for papers : what kind of research have you done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chebella7604

Baby
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting out in a lab. I really like reading papers and hearing about what other people are doing. I'm just curious to know what kind of things you all have investigated and are currently investigating?

I guess this is kind of an invitation for you to brag about yourself a tad. If you published and would like to post a link to your paper I'll probably read it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

i did research two summers ago with an orthopedic surgeon at UCSD that resulted in two publications attached below. we were doing other research on something unrelated, and this journal sent him a letter asking him to write these articles, so he gave the job to myself and a med student at UCSD at the time. they were reviews on effective uses of MRI when scanning the knee and shoulder and were published in the journal of musculoskeletal medicine. View attachment JOMM1.pdf View attachment JOMM2.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess id classify all of it as nephrology rsrch, 3 papers, 1 working on clinical studies, second two from my lab work in 2 labs.

first paper was on amputations in diabetics (clinical) - journal of vascular surgery

second was on diet induced obesity and SREBP metabolism (studying mouse models of diabetes and metabolic syndrome/syndrome x) - journal of biological chemistry

third was on NKCC1 and NKCC2 channels in the renal collecting duct (rat models in a more basic science lab at the NIH) - American Journal of Physiology -Renal

if you really want the links, ill pm them to you. i dont wanna post them on sdn b/c i dont want e/o to know my name on here!

I'm just starting out in a lab. I really like reading papers and hearing about what other people are doing. I'm just curious to know what kind of things you all have investigated and are currently investigating?

I guess this is kind of an invitation for you to brag about yourself a tad. If you published and would like to post a link to your paper I'll probably read it. :)
You like reading papers? You are a unique one...no one i know, save for the professors themselves, likes reading papers

More power to you though

Type in carboxylesterase and benzil into pubmed, and that's what I spent my summer working on.

My Undergraduate Research Grant Proposal was recently accepted at the Office of Undergraduate Reasearch at my university. Starting on January 7 and running through August of 08, I will be investigating the use of ultrasound and microbubbles to enhance gene transfer of Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) and Glial Cell Line Derived Neurotrophic Factor (GDNF) to SOD1 mice (animal modles of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis). I will be studying the effect of doing multiple vs single intramuscular injections as well as the effect of varying the age at time of first injection. The research will be conducted under the observation of the director of pediatric neurology residency and SoM associate professor.

Prior to that I worked a summer on animal models of CMT1B. Didn't get much out of it though except for the idea for my undergrad research proposal.

We improved the binding affinity of an antibody against a Candida albicans, and are now injecting the antibody into immunocompromised mice to see if it confers any significant passive immunity. If it works, it can be used to treat oral thrush in HIV patients and other fungal infections that plague immunosuppressed/compromised people.

Mouse embryonic stem cell research (fun times) that potentially help diseases such as Alport Syndrome and Alzheimer's . More of a developmental biology angle. Publication is pending (every month the lab tells me it will go out that month.. patience is not my virtue) but will be first co-author if published.

Mouse embryonic stem cell research (fun times) that potentially help diseases such as Alport Syndrome and Alzheimer's . More of a developmental biology angle. Publication is pending (every month the lab tells me it will go out that month.. patience is not my virtue) but will be first co-author if published.

(sorry to jack your thread op) I have recently (in past 2 years) been obsessively following ESC research, especially the new reprogramming method to generate ES-like cells. "Developmental biology angle"- are you working on differentiating them down specific lineages? Good luck with that publication!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey a fellow lab junkie...
1. worked with a fungal expert (dont know exactly what theyre called) to determine if the fungi was host specific.... it was. My first really cool lab experience (Title: Biological Control of Foliar Fungus)
2. Tissue culture in our Agriculture department. The goal was to culture many banana plants in lab to distribute to a neighboring island after a typhoonn had devistated their plantations. I did orchid tissue culture as well.
3. Anti-cancer research... Im from an island and our Marine Lab runs awsome programs... I extracted 'crude extracts' from marine creatures (sponges, coral, algae, etc.) and tested them for various chemical properties
4. Biological indicators of PCB...soft corals...long story.
5. Control of 'crown of thorns' population around the island...another long story
6. Helped my post-doc with all of his cool deep sea sponge research.
7. Last but not least... Contractile properties of the diaphragm in young and old mice (Baylor College of Medicine internship)
....Come to Guam if you need any lab experience, if its not already obvious we love lab junkies. I jumped at any opportunity to be in a lab and soon I will have more say in the type of research I do. All of the above was done in my undergrad career. I just graduated. Hopefully the medical examiner here will allow me to follow him around to get a feel for what he does!

Hey a fellow lab junkie...
1. worked with a fungal expert (dont know exactly what theyre called) to determine if the fungi was host specific.... it was. My first really cool lab experience (Title: Biological Control of Foliar Fungus)
2. Tissue culture in our Agriculture department. The goal was to culture many banana plants in lab to distribute to a neighboring island after a typhoonn had devistated their plantations. I did orchid tissue culture as well.
3. Anti-cancer research... Im from an island and our Marine Lab runs awsome programs... I extracted 'crude extracts' from marine creatures (sponges, coral, algae, etc.) and tested them for various chemical properties
4. Biological indicators of PCB...soft corals...long story.
5. Control of 'crown of thorns' population around the island...another long story
6. Helped my post-doc with all of his cool deep sea sponge research.
7. Last but not least... Contractile properties of the diaphragm in young and old mice (Baylor College of Medicine internship)
....Come to Guam if you need any lab experience, if its not already obvious we love lab junkies. I jumped at any opportunity to be in a lab and soon I will have more say in the type of research I do. All of the above was done in my undergrad career. I just graduated. Hopefully the medical examiner here will allow me to follow him around to get a feel for what he does!

Dude! Those crown of thorns bastards are nasty suckers, arent they eh?

Inject each segment with its own poison otherwise they dont DIE

Not going to give you my papers because that would give out my identity.

Here is what I did.

Rat bone marrow stem cells that were induced to cardiomyocyte like cells using varies means:)

Ultrasound induced release of drug from drug encapsulated liposomes.

Not going to give out much detail... I had several second authorship papers, and many 2+ authorship papers published from these projects.

(sorry to jack your thread op) I have recently (in past 2 years) been obsessively following ESC research, especially the new reprogramming method to generate ES-like cells. "Developmental biology angle"- are you working on differentiating them down specific lineages? Good luck with that publication!

Yea, we differentiated (or attempted to differentiate) them down a pathway and looked for the expression of different markers. I'm really dumbing it down because I'm tired, but that was the gist of the research. MESC research sounds like fun at first but being a slave to the hood was a pain. Thanks, let's hope it gets published!

Prostate Cancer can be detected with labwork using PSA (hKLK3). I found a second marker that can improve Prostate Cancer detection when used in conjunction with PSA. The idea behind this is that PSA suxs as a cancer biomarker because many benign things increase PSA levels in addition to cancer state. I just removed that uncertanity...so guys dont have to have holes poked through their prostate during biopsies just cause they had high PSA.

PSA test has a false positive (determined by subsequent biopsies) in atleast 45% of all positive cases. and PSA test has false negative (again determined by subsequent biopsies) in about 25% of all negative cases. I just reduced those false positives/negatives to avoid unnecessary procedures.

Cheers
Piyush.

you guys are such nerds hahaha jk

i didnt find it too interesting but i was doing research on REST (RE-1 Silencing Transcription Factor) and the coenzymes involved in causing androgen independent prostate cancer.

you guys are such nerds hahaha jk

i didnt find it too interesting but i was doing research on REST (RE-1 Silencing Transcription Factor) and the coenzymes involved in causing androgen independent prostate cancer.

Very nice, I worked with some androgen independent cell lines...but I never came across REST. Maybe I should have read papers more carefully, lol.

Good luck with the work.

Cheers
Piyush

Yah...wow youre familiar with the 16+ armed source of our reefs destruction. People actually used to dive and chop them up and think 'good we got rid of that one' to find out that theyve just produced 18 individuals (regeneration idiots!) then people would inject them with formaldehyde (in the ocean) and destroy everything near it (including the corals). Actually, one of my jobs was to stab an individual for a given amount of time (15 seconds or so) wait a while and collect the water its in and do a chemical profile of what the starfish gave off. Yah I used to get some crown of thorns as big as spare tires! It took 2 of us to shovel it into the tank. Thanks for the input.:thumbup:
Dude! Those crown of thorns bastards are nasty suckers, arent they eh?

Inject each segment with its own poison otherwise they dont DIE

i did research two summers ago with an orthopedic surgeon at UCSD that resulted in two publications attached below. we were doing other research on something unrelated, and this journal sent him a letter asking him to write these articles, so he gave the job to myself and a med student at UCSD at the time. they were reviews on effective uses of MRI when scanning the knee and shoulder and were published in the journal of musculoskeletal medicine. View attachment 9495 View attachment 9496

Thats hilarious, I'm pretty sure I used one of your papers this past semester in a lit review on knee injuries.

My research was in the efficacy of an handheld dynamometer in the ankle.

I spent a year doing research on nutrition and neurocognition and since then, I've been doing public health research including obesity and asthma in Asian-American children (first author of the paper that has been accepted to Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology) and now I'm doing an honors senior thesis in Community Health on acculturation and respiratory disease in Puerto Ricans.

I've done a bit of work in an academic setting (my fav), a smaller company and a larger company.

Merck Corporation Department of Bioprocess
Studied ways to improve virus production in human retinablast cells in order to develop vaccine used in clinical studies phase I to III.
Genzyme Corporation Department of Neuroscience
Worked on creating gene therapy techniques for the treatment of Niemann-Pick disease, a lysosomal storage disorder.
Harvard Medical School at MGH
Worked on muscular dystrophy involving increasing affinity of a scaffold protein randomizing its N-terminus.

I also had some random computer programming that I did for the above mentioned lab at MGH to help them sort through their data.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you want more info on anything.

sequenced complete genome of a bacterium that increases nutrition in biomass crops

working in a lab- developing 2 gene therapy products, treating cancer and HIV

Holocaust History and Public Memory- basically I went on study abroad in 3 countries in Europe then studied how different countries/sites remember the holocaust in different ways. Example: Looking at size of memorials compared to the role of site in the holocaust scheme (ie: German memorials are bigger than Netherlands)

I didn't publish a paper (yet) I have been working on an interactive website which should be completely up and running by April.

I already presented the research though in Washington DC at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.