call in ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dana1976

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i was wondering what call is like as an ophthalmology resident - are most places home call? do you ever have a completely sleepless night? and what is the average number of hours you can sleep? this is all very important to me as i not good with sleep deprivation.

what about open globes? how long do these usually take and would that be an example of a sleepless night? thanks! i appreciate any and all input.

Members don't see this ad.

This schedule is for Iowa, and each program will be different:

Typical work load is Mon-Fri Clinic from 9 AM - 5 PM.

PGY-2 Call is Q5Days with coverage of all weekends and holidays. About 20% of the call will be busy. We see a good number of traumas. Iowa City is small, but we cover the whole state of Iowa and surrounding states. Most all sleepless nights are on here. About 1/5 call is busy.

PGY-3 - Call is about 2 times monthly and only during M-Th. Very light load. Rarely sleepless nights.

PGY-4 - Call is Q4Days as senior backup for the first call. Good surgical experience during call. Some sleepless nights. I have had no sleepless nights all year. I either slept and came in at 4 AM or worked to Mid-Night and then went home. I enjoy it because I like operating during the night.

Most places are home call now.

I can count all my 'sleepless nights' with two hands.

Open globes can vary from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Time of surgery depends on the wound, how big it is, and if there is uvea coming out of the globe.

Sleepless nights because of ER emergencies: orbital fractures, lid lacerations, periorbital trauma, orbital cellulitis, open globes, ect...