call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, do you all get free food when you are on call? We, Michigan State University, just had our meal provisions taken away and I wondered if there was something we could do about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on the hospital I guess. At the Boston Medical Center, we don't get free food, but at the Boston VA hospital, we do.

smile.gif

------------------
Adrian Zai
Scutwork.com

Hi,

I have just started my third year and all med students get free food at my hospital, at all times. It is small, only 132 beds, in a rural area. Food is just okay, but hey, it is free.

Fight back for your free food!
biggrin.gif

Billie

Members don't see this ad :)
Every hospital at which I have done rotations has had free food. In my experience the food was always good. But there was a problem. The food was too healthy. Medical staff are like bears: once they taste fast-food possibilities, they go for the gold. And sooner or later the delivery guy is showing up at 3:30AM with pizzas loaded with everything, sodas all around, hamburgers oozing with everything, deli sandwiches, chinese, mexican take-out. There are one or two people who I have seen actually put healthy food from home in the break-room microwave, but hey, that microwave is supposed to be used for frozen burritos, popcorn, and the all-time emergency room gourmet treat: instant noodles with some kind of, I guess flavoring. Also, why eat their healthy food when there are vending machines selling such on-call staples as oreos, doritos, and nacho-flavored potato chips. Heck, those vending machines now sell little cheeze cracker sandwiches "made with real cheese!"
It seems to me your administrators are disgustingly cheap and mean. They should be kidnapped and held at ransom, and the ransom payment should be used for take out: "Hey, who ordered the spring rolls? Who's gonna share the poo-poo platter?" And so it goes until the results of the next knife fight come rolling in.....

At the hospital where my mum's the foodservice director, residents get free meals, but the dollar amount is restricted and so are their choices -- meals are fine, but a baggie of GORP or three ice cream sandwiches are not.
smile.gif
They are always very appreciative, and are the only folks on staff in the hospital who enjoy free food.

That said, I disagree that residents are entitled to free food. I think it's just a nice perk.