Calling Admissions Offices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read several posts in which premeds said they "spoke to admissions offices to assess their chances". Is this a common practice? If so, just who in the heck do you call?

Members don't see this ad.

i've become friendly with one of the admissions officers at my #1...just call! they're really helpful. i wouldn't ask them to assess your chances but if you stay vague and hypothetical, you get the idea. they even asked me to come in the beginning of the summer and have a little face to face discussion...i feel like i'm getting my foot in the door this way and anything that puts me that much closer makes me feel good...at the very least, you will probably learn alot about the particular school.

Thank you for your response. This board is the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest, if possible, setting up an appointment with an admissions counselor. At that point, tell him/her your story, and what you'd like to do. Then, ask the question that I asked, after he/she knows where you are coming from, "what do I need to do to make myself the absolutely most competitive applicant I can be."

They will tell you. Take their advice, do what they say, and you'll get in.

Try and do it between the times that they are not normally busy.... Some admissions people can be a bit snootie!!!