1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all Interns...California (Temporary) licensure

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Rehability, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Rehability

Rehability Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello all...

Currently, I am doing my internship in Chicago with a temporary Illinois license. I will be doing my residency in California starting July 1st. I was told by my co-interns here to apply ASAP for my new license (since I will be in a new state). I contacted my program secretary in Cali and she said that I simply had to show proof that I had an Illinois license...but this just doesn't make any sense (i.e. I shouldn't be able to use an Illinois temporary license in California). So, does California need some sort of license to train as a PGY-2 if you're coming from another state?

Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me. :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. brc12

5+ Year Member

From what I recall, to apply for a california medical license you just need to have completed PGY1. The only other legal requirement for working that I recall is you must be licensed by the start of PGY3. Applying as early as possible is certainly recommended as it can take over 3 months to get the license, but I personally did not get licensed until 3 weeks before i started PGY3. Your program may have different requirements, but those are the state requirements from when I applied 3 years ago.