Calling all Interns...California (Temporary) licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehability

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all...

Currently, I am doing my internship in Chicago with a temporary Illinois license. I will be doing my residency in California starting July 1st. I was told by my co-interns here to apply ASAP for my new license (since I will be in a new state). I contacted my program secretary in Cali and she said that I simply had to show proof that I had an Illinois license...but this just doesn't make any sense (i.e. I shouldn't be able to use an Illinois temporary license in California). So, does California need some sort of license to train as a PGY-2 if you're coming from another state?

Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

From what I recall, to apply for a california medical license you just need to have completed PGY1. The only other legal requirement for working that I recall is you must be licensed by the start of PGY3. Applying as early as possible is certainly recommended as it can take over 3 months to get the license, but I personally did not get licensed until 3 weeks before i started PGY3. Your program may have different requirements, but those are the state requirements from when I applied 3 years ago.