This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureunknown11896

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’m interested in gastroenterology but also having a family is a huge priority for me. In terms of flexible specialities for mom-to-bes, I’ve heard good things about peds, IM, FM, psych, rad and even ER but not much about gastro so would love to hear any opinions! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I’m interested in gastroenterology but also having a family is a huge priority for me. In terms of flexible specialities for mom-to-bes, I’ve heard good things about peds, IM, FM, psych, rad and even ER but not much about gastro so would love to hear any opinions! Thanks!

I know a mom who does this who works solely outpatient and my parents think she earns at least 250K. That's not bad, but why do PGY6 to work part time is my opinion. Is your partner's income sufficient? Not to mention the work required in IM residency to land GI.

I have several female partners. All but two choose to work less than full time. Getting through fellowship is long with little ones but every female co-fellow I worked with had at least 1 kid during fellowship.