Calling all PCAT 2nd Timers!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supermn54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wandering if there is anyone out there who took the pcats a second time and actually got a lower score or the same score. And if you actually improved, how much did you improve by? Just doing a little research for those of us who are deciding whether or not it would be worth the time,money and energy to take it a second time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oct 04 & Nov 04. Composite stayed the same both times. My quantitiative score rose 12%ile, chemistry rose 19%ile. Biology, verbal ability, reading comprehension were the same both times.

This has probably been answered before but do most schools average the scores taken or do they take the highest?

Perhaps it would be helpful for those of you who did improve told everyone how you improved. Did you just take the test again with no preparation? Did you use study guides? Did you take a review course?

I'd like to give some of my tips since i did well on my first try: Hope they help someone

Buy two review guides and answer the verbal questions/reading comp questions in both. I think that repeatedly going through these types of problems will improve your score in these sections. Even if you are good verbally the more practice you have the easier you will fly through these sections

2. Go back through your freshman bio book and read the stuff a. about cells b. about cell division c. about basic animal anatomy nad physiology

3. Buy Cliff notes anatomy and physiology quick review. This was a great quick guide.

4. The chem problems in the Barrons book will not help you prepare for the bulk of the chem test. My god, there were only a few actual numerical calculation problems on the pcat and that book seemed to have only numerical problems. Just relearn the gas laws and stuff about pH. Be sure you know an ester for an ether etc. There is a lot of organic chem on the test...more than in the review books i bought.

also recommended: the cliff notes general chem quick review book. Very good overview of general chem. helped me loads.

5. be sure you know calculus lol. The calc problems seemed reasonable but my worst section was the math becaues i did not review the calc at all. I remembered all the f(x) stuff vaguely but not enough to solve the problems.

I have taken it three times

1st time I got a 90
2nd time I got a 92
3rd time (This past JAN) I got a 99

I dunno, I just studied the body systems really good...practice as much reading comprehension as I could....and get a word book and just read a couple pages a day...

Just practice the math and chem problems...

The PCAT isn't that hard...IMO

ROBDawg4 said:
I have taken it three times

1st time I got a 90
2nd time I got a 92
3rd time (This past JAN) I got a 99

I dunno, I just studied the body systems really good...practice as much reading comprehension as I could....and get a word book and just read a couple pages a day...

Just practice the math and chem problems...

The PCAT isn't that hard...IMO

Why in the world did you retake it after a 90? And then again after a 92?

Members don't see this ad :)
i tell you waht, i would not take that mammoth thing again ever ...not for 1000 dollars. ok maybe for 1000 dollars i sell out easy.

FutureRxGal said:
Why in the world did you retake it after a 90? And then again after a 92?

Because a 90 and 92 aren't good enough to get into UGA with a 3.19 GPA

Anyways..I obviously won't be taking it again....Can't do any better than a 99 :p

ROBDawg4 said:
Because a 90 and 92 aren't good enough to get into UGA with a 3.19 GPA

Anyways..I obviously won't be taking it again....Can't do any better than a 99 :p
you need more than a 99 pcat to get into UGA. You may want to talk to Ivorymist

FutureRxGal said:
He didn't say you need higher than a 99. He said you need more than that, as in more than just your PCAT score. :thumbup:

Yeah I know you need more than a 99...I have been on the waiting list the past two years....I am hoping a 99 PCAT will push me over the edge. I know someone who got into UGA with a 98 PCAT and 2.85 GPA...SO I feel pretty good about my chances...third times a charm.

ROBDawg4 said:
Yeah I know you need more than a 99...I have been on the waiting list the past two years....I am hoping a 99 PCAT will push me over the edge. I know someone who got into UGA with a 98 PCAT and 2.85 GPA...SO I feel pretty good about my chances...third times a charm.

It's all about the intangibles. Has anything about you changed in the last 2 years? There are also other schools in the state of Georgia like Mercer and South.

Caverject said:
It's all about the intangibles. Has anything about you changed in the last 2 years? There are also other schools in the state of Georgia like Mercer and South.

I am aware of all of this...

South doesn't have accreditation sp?

And I have applied to mercer...

i have been a UGA student throughout the process...I don't really want to go anywhere else.

ROBDawg4 said:
I am aware of all of this...

South doesn't have accreditation sp?

And I have applied to mercer...

i have been a UGA student throughout the process...I don't really want to go anywhere else.
South does have accreditation. All of the students graduating there have the full rights to sit for the board exam.

If you want to be a pharmacist, I would seriously reconsider UGA being the only school on your mind. I know bulldog country is great and all, but you have to look at reality. If you have been rejected 2 times already, don't you think you should look beyond the state?

Caverject said:
South does have accreditation. All of the students graduating there have the full rights to sit for the board exam.

If you want to be a pharmacist, I would seriously reconsider UGA being the only school on your mind. I know bulldog country is great and all, but you have to look at reality. If you have been rejected 2 times already, don't you think you should look beyond the state?

South hasn't recieved it' accreditation yet...no one has graduated from there yet...you have to have a class graduate and have a certain percentage pass the liscencing exam...I am from Savannah and I certainly don't want to go back home to a school that doesn't have accreditation.

On the other hand...I have scored high on the PCAT...I have a decent GPA..and I have done well on my interviews...I am pretty confident.

Why are you such a pessimist?

Caverject said:

If I went from a 92 to a 99 PCAT...A 7 point increase in my overall score will GREATLY increase my chances in getting in...You don't seem to know much about the application process at UGA.

You have your GPA score, your interview score, and your PCAT score

They multiply your GPA by 25 and add up your 3 totals...

So an increase of 7 full point to my pCAt score will be a 7 point increase in my total score...Considering I have been interviewed twice and put on the waiting list both times...I feel that a 7 point increase will put me over the top....but maybe not.