-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Calling all people applying to PT Schools this upcoming year
Started by kingroger317
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey! Plan on applying to schools this fall nd not sure how many...wats ur # lookin like?
Hi. anybody applying this coming year? we should start a forum to help each out and ask questions.
Roger
probably 8-10, mostly in california. you? anybody understand how the PTCAs is gonna work, it doesnt seem to help much other than organizing your transcripts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will also be applying this fall. The plan now is to apply to 3 schools, though I may add a fourth. All of them are local- kind of lucked out there.
PTCAS seems a bit daunting, but hopefully it really will streamline things. Though I heard that schools using it are not supposed to have a supplemental application that goes directly to the school. At least one of those I'm applying to require a supplemental application on top of the PTCAS. Has any one else come across this?
PTCAS seems a bit daunting, but hopefully it really will streamline things. Though I heard that schools using it are not supposed to have a supplemental application that goes directly to the school. At least one of those I'm applying to require a supplemental application on top of the PTCAS. Has any one else come across this?
Right now my list is at five, Bradley U., Saint Ambrose U., Iowa U., LSU Shreveport, and LSU New Orleans. The LSU's are my safety net schools as I would be in-state.
As for PTCAS, not every school uses it(Bradley and LSU NO for example), but it seems like most do. From my researching around I've found that a number of schools have supplemental applications. Most supplemental apps are not that long from what I've found, and PTCAS seems like it will cover the majority of what you need for each school as far as applications are concerned ( purpose statement, experience documentation, transcripts etc.). Of course, I haven't actually seen the application for PTCAS, so I guess we'll find out on Aug. 1st how useful it is.
As for PTCAS, not every school uses it(Bradley and LSU NO for example), but it seems like most do. From my researching around I've found that a number of schools have supplemental applications. Most supplemental apps are not that long from what I've found, and PTCAS seems like it will cover the majority of what you need for each school as far as applications are concerned ( purpose statement, experience documentation, transcripts etc.). Of course, I haven't actually seen the application for PTCAS, so I guess we'll find out on Aug. 1st how useful it is.
Last edited:
is there anything we can prepare for before the PTCAS application comes out?
Like
what is the personal statement going to be on?
Like
what is the personal statement going to be on?
I don't think there's really anything you can do other than wait for PTCAS to be available on Aug. 1st, but I imagine the purpose statement will be fairly typical. It will probably involve telling them a bit about yourself, why you want to be a PT and some personal attributes that would make you a good PT, discussing any volunteer or work experience you have in the PT field, stuff like that.
Hi, i'm new to the forums! i'm applying for this coming year, probably to about 10 schools. most of them are on the east cost, a few in Chicago too. I haven't decided on exactly which ones yet, i'm trying to narrow it down now. good luck to everyone else applying!
for Letters of Rec (LOR) can the person who is writing it just send 1 letter to PTCAS, and PTCAS will distribute it? or do we have to send multiple to individual schools?
From looking at the PTCAS website, it actually appears that they prefer LORs are submitted electronically, which I'm assuming makes it easier for them to distribute to various schools. Hopefully it will all be clearer after Friday.
On the topic of LORs though, any opinions on how much time you should spend with a particular PT before asking them for a LOR?
On the topic of LORs though, any opinions on how much time you should spend with a particular PT before asking them for a LOR?
On the topic of LORs though, any opinions on how much time you should spend with a particular PT before asking them for a LOR?
I would say it would depend on the relationship you have developed with that particular PT. The more formal the relationship, the longer (IMO) you should wait to ask for a recommendation. However, if you and your therapist hit it off right away, that time can be drastically reduced.
That said, you will still have to do the work, that is don't be shy to lend a helping hand, ask lots of questions, and show to the PT you are worthy of a recommendation.
considering some schools ask for 2 or 3 recs from PT's, I'm sure most of us don't know that many PT's extremely well. Unless you've been volunteering at like 3 places for a long time, haha. So it is bit awkward.
On another note. I see we still have to fill out PT experience/hours form and send them to each school ourselves. So does that mean if we're applying to 10 schools, we have to give the PT, 10 papers/envelops to fill out!
On another note. I see we still have to fill out PT experience/hours form and send them to each school ourselves. So does that mean if we're applying to 10 schools, we have to give the PT, 10 papers/envelops to fill out!
Hello all,
I too am applying for 2009. First time applicant, hopeful to return to the school-scene after a 2-year community service-oriented fellowship. I'm a bit of an atypical dpt hopeful, I have my bachelor's and master's in music. I discovered my interest in PT this fall and it was an immediate "calling." But I'm schlepping away at those prereqs while working full time, (all the science courses I never took in my performance based curriculum), and set to take the GRE in late August!
Is there anyone else out there who will still have prereqs "in progress" at time of application? This actually narrows down my list of schools because I can only apply to Fall-start programs, as I will still have to complete a few classes next summer. It makes me a little nervous that my application seems so "incomplete," but I'm hoping that admissions committees will be looking at the big picture and conjecture that I can finish them successfully. Anyone have any insight/past experience?
I'm also looking for suggestions/mentions of programs that may have any type of performing arts interest component...
Arlyn
I too am applying for 2009. First time applicant, hopeful to return to the school-scene after a 2-year community service-oriented fellowship. I'm a bit of an atypical dpt hopeful, I have my bachelor's and master's in music. I discovered my interest in PT this fall and it was an immediate "calling." But I'm schlepping away at those prereqs while working full time, (all the science courses I never took in my performance based curriculum), and set to take the GRE in late August!
Is there anyone else out there who will still have prereqs "in progress" at time of application? This actually narrows down my list of schools because I can only apply to Fall-start programs, as I will still have to complete a few classes next summer. It makes me a little nervous that my application seems so "incomplete," but I'm hoping that admissions committees will be looking at the big picture and conjecture that I can finish them successfully. Anyone have any insight/past experience?
I'm also looking for suggestions/mentions of programs that may have any type of performing arts interest component...
Arlyn
Is there anyone else out there who will still have prereqs "in progress" at time of application?
Even after receiving my BS in Bio, I still have two prereqs to finish. I am hoping to squeeze them both in this fall (registering next week hopefully), but one may be pushed to Spring. I asked the admissions person about this on one of my campus visits, and her response was "A couple missing classes are ok, but if you still had 4 or more science courses, there's a good chance you wouldn't be considered becasue we can't assess your abilities in the sciences." This school only accepts 30 students/year though, and that is mostly (or even completely) filled during the early admissions period. You may have better luck at schools with rolling admissions, but I know some of the schools really want to see a full science GPA to make their decision. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm taking them next month.
Most schools the average is around 1050-1100. around 500 verbal, 600 math
Most schools the average is around 1050-1100. around 500 verbal, 600 math
Most schools the average is around 1050-1100. around 500 verbal, 600 math
This is what I've been reading too, and I hope it's actually true. I just took mine a few weeks ago, and with scores above those in the verbal and math, I was still only in the 60 and 68 percentile respectively, which didn't seem very impressive.
TO PT HOPEFUL:
I am in the exact same boat as you, but still have a few more years of pre-reqs to do. i have a bachelors in art, so yep, i too am schleppin away at all those basic science classes i never had to take while working full time. anyway, just wanted to say i can relate. congrats on re-inventing yourself 🙂
I am in the exact same boat as you, but still have a few more years of pre-reqs to do. i have a bachelors in art, so yep, i too am schleppin away at all those basic science classes i never had to take while working full time. anyway, just wanted to say i can relate. congrats on re-inventing yourself 🙂
Anyone else working on the PTCAS application?
When entering your GRE scores it asks for a composite score, which I assumed was just the sum of the verbal and quantitative. Then it asks for a composite percentile. Does anyone know if this is also just the verbal and quantitative? Or should the analytical percentile be factored in too? Or is this listed on the score report somewhere and I'm just totally missing it?
When entering your GRE scores it asks for a composite score, which I assumed was just the sum of the verbal and quantitative. Then it asks for a composite percentile. Does anyone know if this is also just the verbal and quantitative? Or should the analytical percentile be factored in too? Or is this listed on the score report somewhere and I'm just totally missing it?
I was confused about the GREs on the PTCAS also, but I haven't gotten my official reports yet.
Good to hear it wasn't just me being confused then🙄
Though my first early dec deadline is a whole 4 hours from now so I think I'll just go with averaging all 3, since my analytical score is the highest anyway. If anyone knows the real answer though, I'd be curious to know.
Just sent my apps in. I am pretty much in the same boat as most of you in terms of GRE. Got a 680 Quantiative and 550 Qualitative. GPA is not as good as I want it to be, but I had no problems getting LORs from the PTs I worked and volunteered with. Did everyone get inpatient and outpatient experience. I have a lot of outpatient experience working as an aide, but I have less than 100 hours of inpatient as a volunteer.
I am pretty much applying to all schools in CA. Anyone else applying to CA schools?
I am pretty much applying to all schools in CA. Anyone else applying to CA schools?
Did everyone get inpatient and outpatient experience. I have a lot of outpatient experience working as an aide, but I have less than 100 hours of inpatient as a volunteer.
It seems from talking to admissions committees that they are just looking for an overall commitment and variety in your experience. As long as you've been exposed to different settings, I'd say you'll be fine, especially if your overall hours are high.
Has anyone submitted PTCAS and had their grades verified, app sent to the school, etc? My status is still just reading "not mailed". They say to allow up to 4 or 5 weeks, but I'm curious as to what the actual turnarund has been.
That is good to know. I was starting to worry about my low inpatient hours, but I have over 500 outpatient hours from working part-time in multiple settings as an aide, which I did while going to school.
I submitted my application right on the 1st of October because one of my LORs took forever. I am just glad they moved some of the deadlines two weeks later to the 15th of Oct. Not sure why they did this, but I was glad to know I had some more time. My application status still says "not mailed", so I guess I will have to play the waiting game.
Callmecrazy, which schools are you applying to ?
I submitted my application right on the 1st of October because one of my LORs took forever. I am just glad they moved some of the deadlines two weeks later to the 15th of Oct. Not sure why they did this, but I was glad to know I had some more time. My application status still says "not mailed", so I guess I will have to play the waiting game.
Callmecrazy, which schools are you applying to ?
I also submitted on Oct 1. Shortly after I posted yesterday I actually got an email from PTCAS: GPAs are calculated, and apps will be going out in their next mailing. So it looks like they are getting apps processed in a little over a week.
I'm hopefully headed to either Pitt, Chatham, or Slippery Rock (all in the Pittsburgh area).
I'm hopefully headed to either Pitt, Chatham, or Slippery Rock (all in the Pittsburgh area).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone hear any good news yet?👍 Bad news?👎
Ended up only applying to two schools, and I have an interview at one next week. The other I think is going to take their sweet time, so I'm not holding my breath.
Ended up only applying to two schools, and I have an interview at one next week. The other I think is going to take their sweet time, so I'm not holding my breath.
Hi all, the name is Mark. I applied to seven schools: Columbia University, University of Southern California, University of South Florida, University of Miami, Texas Tech, Pacific University, University of Utah, and will possibly apply to a couple more programs. The pain of gathering all of the information for the PTCAS will hopefully start to pay off. Does anyone have an "ideal school" that they specifically want to get in to?
I take it the GRE went smoothly for a lot of people on this forum. Any pointers for the GRE besides the obvious? I take it November 29th.
I take it the GRE went smoothly for a lot of people on this forum. Any pointers for the GRE besides the obvious? I take it November 29th.Hi DPThopeful4!
I'm excited to see another artist on the board! I've been a professional dancer for several years and have decided (due mostly to injuries - ironically) to pursue PT. I'll have 2 more pre-reqs to go after applying...and somehow I need to get more volunteer hours. I actually have to stay where I am as my husband is in school here, so I'm applying to the only school nearby. Hopefully, I'll get in, otherwise, I'll have to wait for 3 more years. Anyway, I've no advice but am glad to have come across another "unconventional" (whatever that means) applicant.
On another note, are there any applicants out there who perform better on the Verbal GRE section than on the Quantitative? I think my scores are fine on both, but verbal is always higher. Just curious...
I'm excited to see another artist on the board! I've been a professional dancer for several years and have decided (due mostly to injuries - ironically) to pursue PT. I'll have 2 more pre-reqs to go after applying...and somehow I need to get more volunteer hours. I actually have to stay where I am as my husband is in school here, so I'm applying to the only school nearby. Hopefully, I'll get in, otherwise, I'll have to wait for 3 more years. Anyway, I've no advice but am glad to have come across another "unconventional" (whatever that means) applicant.
On another note, are there any applicants out there who perform better on the Verbal GRE section than on the Quantitative? I think my scores are fine on both, but verbal is always higher. Just curious...
Last edited:
On another note, are there any applicants out there who perform better on the Verbal GRE section than on the Quantitative? I think my scores are fine on both, but verbal is always higher. Just curious...
That's the first I've seen that too. It's usually, drastically the other way around; my Q is higher than my V by 120 points. As long as your Q score is still good though, it certainly won't hurt you to rock the V score even more.👍
hey guys new to this forum, lots of useful information!
i have a 3.0 gpa with my prereqs around 3.0 as well, just took my gre and i got a 680 quantitive and 390 verbal. i have about 160 hours inpatient and about 50 outpatient. im finishing up my ptcas app right now. what do you guys think my chances are getting into a pt program? im not too picky on whether it is an mpt or dpt, just need a school to take a chance on me because i dont think my scores show my true academic capabilities
i have a 3.0 gpa with my prereqs around 3.0 as well, just took my gre and i got a 680 quantitive and 390 verbal. i have about 160 hours inpatient and about 50 outpatient. im finishing up my ptcas app right now. what do you guys think my chances are getting into a pt program? im not too picky on whether it is an mpt or dpt, just need a school to take a chance on me because i dont think my scores show my true academic capabilities
hey guys new to this forum, lots of useful information!
i have a 3.0 gpa with my prereqs around 3.0 as well, just took my gre and i got a 680 quantitive and 390 verbal. i have about 160 hours inpatient and about 50 outpatient. im finishing up my ptcas app right now. what do you guys think my chances are getting into a pt program? im not too picky on whether it is an mpt or dpt, just need a school to take a chance on me because i dont think my scores show my true academic capabilities
to be honest - your gpa is OK, what school did you go to?
your GRE's are not good at all, quantitative is solid, but that verbal is horrendous, consider retaking?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
M
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
M