Calling all post-baccs applying for 2006 matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
please identify/introduce yourself so we can keep track of one another (this isnt to alienate those applying for fall 2005 med school matricuation, btw). its just nice to know whose out there...

as for myself, i just decided to take the mcat in august and apply next june for 2006 (hopefully) matriculation. i feel like im getting older by the minute (im really only 24), but the way the last few months have been flying, i feel like we will be there in no time.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha! In an odd way I know what you mean about feeling old :scared: I'm 24 and doing a post-bac at CSULA! Since I've been back in the academic world it's been one crazy quarter after another, but I love the challenge!

I'm planning on taking the MCAT in April '05 and starting somewhere (fingers crossed!) in Fall '06. Good luck with your plans! How far along are you with your courses?

i'm also 24 and starting to take classes this summer. the first session i'm going to take chem 1 and pre calc and the second session will be chem 2 and calc. dude, the worst part is the precalc is at 7:30 am!!! i'm shooting for matriculation in 2006. i know it's going to take a mini-miracle for it to all happen, but it should at least be more interesting than my stupid desk job now!! the craziest thing is that i am quitting my job in two months (they don't know that yet) and taking out a loan to do this. i wish i had saved some money, but oh well. it's strange to think just how different my life will be so soon. it's really nice to know that there are others out there in my situation. in solidarity!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i'm just coming to the realization that i'm not going to apply until next summer as well... i'm starting a master's program at nyu in a month and i think i want to wait until that's wrapped up (may 05) to move on med school. i'm 24 too, and definitly feel old, but i figure in the long run it doesn't really matter. one question for you all though-- i took the mcat in august 2002-- my scores should still be good for most schools, correct?? if not i might have to rethink things.... thanks.

I'm really hoping to apply for 2006 matriculation as well, but its going to depend how summer and fall classes go and what I can handle on top of working full time...lots to think about as this is a big career change for me!

Hi,

I'll be done with my post-bac work in twelve days, and will shoot for matriculation in 2006. I'm going to spend this time getting more clinical experience and studying for the April 2005 MCAT.

Wow, it's weird writing down these years...they seem so far away!

Hey everyone! Great to see y'all. I was starting to get worried as a few days went by without any responses to my posting... ive been at Penn doing the Special Science Program (cHocoBo glad to see you're heading there too!) having already received a degree in Bio. I think I've only got three more courses after this semester left... so, my last year and a half wait will be sans academic stress before I start school. But I've still got the summer and fall to get through first (oh, and spring right now, of course). shurl, you can do it. I've been working full time (45+/week) for the last year and a half and it all ends up working out. For those of you who havent quit their jobs (dizzle, let us know how that goes!) what are you all doing if you arent in school full time.
:clap: :clap: good to see you all!

Here's to Fall 2006 matricuation!!

Hey dizzle, what did you before you decided to go to medical school? Are you taking all the prereqs?

I was sleepless for days about my decision to post-pone the mcat cause I thought I'd die if I put this off any longer. But you know, its all for the best!! Everyday I meet non-traditional medical students and I'm starting to feel that everyone should take time off...

Originally posted by 2bkiddoc
For those of you who havent quit their jobs (dizzle, let us know how that goes!) what are you all doing if you arent in school full time.
:clap: :clap: good to see you all!

Here's to Fall 2006 matricuation

I'm working full time to finance this and keep benefits, etc (my job is very low-stress and half the time I have nothing to do, thus I found SDN!) I've been taking 1-3 classes at night or online. I'm changing over from Finance so I've had to start pretty much from scratch with my classes. But because I am still working during the day, I may end up putting it off until 2007 matriculation just so I can keep my sanity as well as my day job and good grades....

i've been working as a legal assistant to a bunch of self-important ny corporate lawyers and really have had it up to here with these people!!

can anyone shed light on the question i posted above re: mcat expiration? i would really appreciate it.

mcats are good for 3 yrs.

3 years from application or 3 years from matriculation? in other words, will my scores from 8-02 be good for 2006 matriculation? thanks a lot for the help, the school admissions websites i looked at were kind of ambiguous

Originally posted by LordoftheFries
can anyone shed light on the question i posted above re: mcat expiration? i would really appreciate it.

I also took the August 2002 MCAT. Sorry to say, but I'm pretty sure that this June 2004 application for matriculation in Fall 2005 for graduating June 2009 is our last hope. No one truly seems to know when the MCAT expires. However, the AAMC will not even include our MCAT score if we apply in June 2005 for matriculation Fall 2006 for graduating June 2010. We have to actually click on something to request it be shown on the AMCAS. I have also heard rumors that it is only good for 2-3 years. But I have no idea when the 2-3 years starts/ends. It's very confusing and I don't know why no one has really specified this issue clearly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see there are plenty of 06'ers out there. Im 24 as well, doing the penn special sciences thing, and research. August MCAT as well, then HOPEFULLY just waiting to apply. Where ya'll looking to go?

:) well, hey y'all. nice to meet the most recent posters. feel free to bump up this post and use it as a resource to keep in touch with one another. the pre-allopathic forum is great, but having people with a (somewhat) similar background can help at times... especially when it comes nearer to application times.

Good luck to everyone taking the MCAT on saturday. Tell us how it goes when you are finished. :clap: :clap: you're almost there!!!

In the same boat now, going to do research for a year PREP program and then take MCAT in 2005.

Add me to the list.. :p

I am 25, taking the MCAT for the first time in Aug 04, and applying in 05 for 06 matric. I was a bio major with a poor GPA, and I had all my pre-reqs except orgo II, which I am taking this spring (and am poised to make a high A in barring any unforseen final exam catastrophes!) My post bacc work will begin in earnest this fall, DIY, and will consist of biochem, physio, etc in an attempt to make up for my undergrad GPA. Good luck to all!

I feel so young!! I'm 20 and I'm doing this to prop up the sci gpa and...time to get the hell out of the ATL. If nothing else works out, I'll be doing the HCP program at Harvard Extension. :thumbup:

jwnduke said:
I am 25, taking the MCAT for the first time in Aug 04, and applying in 05 for 06 matric. I was a bio major with a poor GPA, and I had all my pre-reqs except orgo II, which I am taking this spring (and am poised to make a high A in barring any unforseen final exam catastrophes!) My post bacc work will begin in earnest this fall, DIY, and will consist of biochem, physio, etc in an attempt to make up for my undergrad GPA. Good luck to all!

Add me to the list, I'm 24 applied last year but got rejected, not sure if I will do a post-bac or just do one more year of research and take the MCAT over. Good luck to all!

I'm in, i'm going post bac this fall hopefully.

Yep, I'm 24 coming and out of accounting/tax. I start Post Bac at HES in the fall (maybe summer). So excited about it!!!!! Anyone here doing HES (Harvard's Pre health program)?

Good luck to everyone :p

Man this is funny...

We're all 24 (I will be too in a month) and we all know that this next career switch is the big one. Best of luck to everyone- I myself am doing a short master's degree and then will likely do the MCAT again and get ready for '06.

I enjoy the comraderie here...whoever started this post- nice work!

Teehee..I'm old :) 33! But will be applying next summer for Fall 2006 matriculation. Currently doing postbac work at SJSU and plan to take the MCAT in April, 2005.

Good luck to everyone :)!

Roselee

Just wanted to check in one more time with everyone and welcome the new posters... cheers for 2006... i hope the end of the semester is working out for those who are already taking classes... and i hope the mcat went well for any of you that took it on saturday. looks like a lot of us will be trucking through the summer months perfecting our critical thinking skills... good luck on finals, and welcome to the group everyone. :)

Hey all! I'm 24 also. Got waitlisted last yr with no results. I'm gonna start a post bacc program at TCOM this fall and hopefully transfer over to their med school.

I HATE THE MCAT!!! Was gonna take it this April but got a call from the admissions of the post bacc program. Whats another three months of eating and sleeping the MCAT anyways. :)

Yeah, I feel really old too. Most of my friends are first and second yrs. already :(

I'm 22 :)

I'll be taking the MCAT this spring after completing Organic II, Physics II and Biology II in the spring semester. :D

I have been persusing this site for some time and have jsut recently decided to join. Such a warm feeling to see a community that shares the same passion for healthcare. As a non-traditional student who will be beginning the long journey of getting into medical school, I thought I would introudce myself and hopefully contribute to this forum.

Brief Bio:

Graduated from Penn State University Park 2002: B.S. Accounting
g.p.a. : 2.56 (Significant health problems, family crisis) (Honor student in HS with numerous A.P. classes. Not lacking the academic ability, although numbers don't show it!!)

Enrolled in General Chem I/II/Lab beginning June 1st. at Rutgers.
Will have my interview for the Post Bacc Certificate Program this Friday!

Financial Analyst with KPMG and Accenture since 2002

EMT-B/D, Volunteer with Big Brother Big Sisters, and numerous other volunteer experience in hospitals and schools.

I suppose the plan is this: Rock the post-bacc, rock the MCAT in April '05 and then receive an acceptance letter from a DO school (First choice between PCOM and UNECOM).

If anyone would like to make any comments, share any stories, or merely open up a dialogue with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

To everyone else, best of luck!!

-J

I'm gonna make DO my first choice too! Like last time. :)

Hi, I'm 25. I got my BS in Biology and Spanish. (Our school made us double major and Spanish was fun :D . I've decided to go the Masters Route. I am starting graduate school in August and will be pursuing a Masters degree in Biomedical Sciences. This will only take me a year, but since there's the glide year, I'm considering doing it in a year and a half. But at the same time, I want my med school application to be as strong as possible so maybe I'll do the year. I will be applying for matriculation for Aug 06' and when I apply for this matriculation, I will also apply for entry into post bac programs with gauranteed linkage. There are a few out there. The reason I'm doing this is because I know that if I do really well on my Masters, if I don't get into med school, I could definitely get into a post bac...hopefully. I'll be taking the MCAT for the second time in April. I want to excell so I've started preparing already.

Good Luck to everyone. Keep us posted on statuses :oops:

I'm a young'un, just old enough to legally drink. I'll probably be doing a post-bacc program next fall at either Georgetown CAM (really a masters), PCOM, or Drexel, have to hear about acceptances first! Good luck to everybody :D

I'll be applying next spring as well. I'm trying really hard to sympathize with those of you who feel old at 24. I'm trying.

Ahem.

I'm forty. :)

Thought I would join the thread:

I am 24 years young, B.S. in Accounting (really bad gpa) from Penn State (2002).
Leaving my job as an analyst from Accenture May 28th!!!

Summer session with Rutgers Post-Bacc (Gen Chem I/II/Lab)
Fall : (Physics-Mechanics / OChem I/ Bio I)
Spring : (OChem II/ OChem Lab / Bio II , MCAT)

They have an early acceptance program with UMDNJ schools that will allow 05 matriculation, but I am really set on going to PCOM or UNECOM 2006!!. Who knows.

Best of luck to everyone this summer
-J

Hey all,

I just took my last final last night... ugh.... suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Working and schooling for five semesters has just kicked me a little. Had a little drop in ethusiasm and hope last night, but after consenting a patient to a clinical research study today, I'm back up and on the ball...

I just want to remind everyone we are in this together and to keep your heads up!!!

Your name, MD/DO - it will be yours... one day...

Anyone summer sessioning it?? Anyone else finish finals??

I start June 1. I can't wait!! I have Gen Chem I/II and Lab for the summer. Frankly, its all I have been thinking about while I await the glorious day that I leave my horrible finance job at Accenture!!! I will be doing the Post-Bacc Program at Rutgers. (Anyone else?)

stats for those interested:

> B.S. Accounting from Penn State, 2002 : 2.56 (result of severe health problems and family crisit)
> Worked for very large corporations blah blah blah
> Mucho ECs, volunteering (tutoring, NREMT, community involvement, ROTC)

Plan of attack:

Summer : Gen Chem I/II/Lab
Fall : OChem I / Bio I / Physics II (AP for Physics I)
Spring : Ochem II / Lab / Bio II / MCAT

Any thoughts from others with similar stats on the process and acceptance. This forum has been an excellent resource. Thanks to everyone, you make my office time more productive.

Thanks
-J

Yeah, I just realized that I put up the same post three times. Um..yeah..sorry about that. This is what sitting in an office all day manipulating excel worksheets does to you.

I need a beer!

-J

Oh man.... I'm freaking out a little because I keep thinking about the MCAT next April!!! Ugh... I think that test is gonna really pull my application together.... so I HAVE to do well... Anyone else freaking out about a test that is fast approaching?!?!?

:scared:

I'm kinda worried about how hard the postbac courses will be, since you have to maintain a 3.5+ to be considered into a MD/DO program.

Anyone else taking courses over the summer to prepare?

nrddct said:
I'm kinda worried about how hard the postbac courses will be, since you have to maintain a 3.5+ to be considered into a MD/DO program.

Anyone else taking courses over the summer to prepare?

I'm starting at GT SMP this August. To help myself prepare, I am taking some physio classes at UCLA Extensions. I plan on taking a little break before school starts though to prepare myself mentally. Good luck!

Hi. I'm just deciding what to do right now. Who knows how long it will take me. I'll have to work full-time as a nurse's aid to finance everything. I'm 23 years old and graduated in 2002. Have any of you guys thought about being a PA or NP? Pros and Cons of pursuing that career? Okay, well it's nice to meet you all and hopefully we'll bump into each other at a med school somewhere!! Best of luck!!

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm 24 too (just turned it last month). :D I'll be taking the MCAT this August, and applying next June.

I'm doing my postbacc at UCSD and will be done with everything but 3rd quarter O. Chem. and one additional Bio class of my choosing in 34 days! I can't wait. I started last June, and have had a pretty crazy schedule ever since. This quarter I've got O. Chem. II, Biochem Lab, Physics III, and O. Chem. Lab. It would've been so nice to figure out I want to be a doctor while I was still in college and could've spread the Chem, O. Chem, Bio, and Physics out over 3 or 4 years instead of 1, but oh well. It's all the same in the end.

As for jobs, I used to be a legal assistant, and am now a bookkeeper. It'll be SO nice to eventually get away from desk jobs.

Good luck to everyone! Remember that maturity counts a lot in this process. :)

Sophie,

How did you get into UCSD for post bac program? I thought UCs were very strict about that. I'm a UCD Alum and I tried to get back into Davis and they were not helpful at all. They were more concerned with freshman getting their classes and didn't want an old fart like me taking up space. Any help you can offer would be great!!

Take care,

Vicky

vschow said:
How did you get into UCSD for post bac program? I thought UCs were very strict about that. I'm a UCD Alum and I tried to get back into Davis and they were not helpful at all. They were more concerned with freshman getting their classes and didn't want an old fart like me taking up space. Any help you can offer would be great!!

I'm actually a UCD alum too. I asked them about doing a postbacc, too, and just like you said, they were way more concerned with the undergrads. So, I explored my options. My boyfriend was in San Diego, so the first school I looked at after UCD was UCSD. It took a lot of reading through their catalog online, but I found a paragraph about a Non-Degree Graduate Program in the Bio Department. I went and talked to someone in the office there, and he was extremely nice. The deadline to apply was already way past and they were about to make decisions on who to let in, but he bent over backwards to make it work for me.

The deal on the program is you're officially a graduate student. You pay grad student fees (tuition), get grad student parking (thank god), and all the other stuff grad students get (ie healthcare, social events, etc). However, it's just for a year (although it can be extended to 2) and at the end of it you don't receive a degree. You're free to take whatever classes you want while you're there. As for financial aid, you're not eligible for grants or scholarships, but you can get subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans, which helps a lot. You do need to take the GRE, get letters of rec, transcripts, write a personal statement, fill out an application, and all that stuff. You're competing against the normal MA and PhD students for your spot so it's not like you're automatically in, but it's worth a shot. When I applied I think the stat was something around 3 out of 12 got in.

I'm not sure if other UCs have this program, but if you're interested in UCSD's send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info for the guy I spoke with. The deadline was sometime in January, but I didn't apply until mid-July so you should be fine since it's only mid-May.

Hey,
For all you August MCATer's, which orgo study guide/book/prep material are you using, or plan on using? I have kaplan, not too bad, but EK is quite dissapointing. Thanks, and goodluck to everyone.

Hello again to all the non-trads applying for Fall 06 matriculation.

I'm bumping up this post so we can rekindle our support for one another. The game-time is approaching...

Feel free to say hi and reintroduce yourselves.

Good luck to everyone taking the MCAT saturday. You've all worked so hard and have so many unique things to offer.

cHocoBo 118 said:
hello hello. i completely forgot about this thread from last year. I'm finishing up my second sem at the UPenn special science program and gonna be applying first thing in june while taking 2 more classes during summer session. After that, I'm just gonna go back to CA, relax and be doing a loooot of praying as i wait to hear things from med schools. (im already nervous just thinking about it) by the way, im now 25.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy everybody! My name is John W. McNeil. Rice U. graduate May 2004!!! Going to UPenn Special sci program (to get this 3.43 gpa up) starting in sept (unless I get N2 UConn postbacc), and will be applying starting in June.
I am supposed to take the April MCAT. We will see if I feel confident enough1

Good luck to everyone!!
God Bless!