Calling jamier2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mossjoh

Mayo Clinic-PGY2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assume the genetics passage you were talking about in your post is the one on linked genes and recombinant frequencies. Okay, I'll try to explan this since you asked if someone would. They had crossed the genotypes to the F1 generation (1st set of offspring). They then did a test cross, which is crossing the F1 with a double recessive genotype. If you have independent assortment, the offspring will come out with a 1:1:1:1 ratio. If the genes are linked, it will differ from this ratio. That assumption answered 2 of the questions.
You also had to compute a recombinant frequency which you do by determining what genotypes are parental (like the parents) and which are recombinants (new combinations).
I think on my test (form CT) the recombinant frequency was 20%.

Anyway, hope this helps, and if you need more feel free to email me. (thank God I had genetics last semester)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot Mossjoh, I thought that was about what it came down to. I also chose 20% for the recombinant frequency. I took genetics, but when I did I was going for grades and not knowledge. I should have studied harder.

Again, thanks for the explanation. I acutally had a pretty good hold on the rest of the questions, especially the test cross stuff, just went with the only answer that I could make sense of on the recombinant frequency. It is good to hear that it was right.
smile.gif

Later,
Jamie