Calling neutropeniaboy and other ENT's to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ernest T. Bass

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start the somewhat daunting task of applying for an ENT residency. I was wondering if anybody could give me insight or information on any of the following programs:
UF, MUSC, U of Mississippi, Med. Col. of Georgia.
(I'm really interested in all programs in the southeast; I mention these schools because I hear they're all pretty much clinically oriented.)
Anybody done a rotation at any of those places?
Anybody a student there that has the inside scoop?
Anybody willing to just make stuff up?

Members don't see this ad.

Ernest Bass - I am also a third year planning on applying in ENT. Are you planning on doing any away rotations? Neutropenia boy - did you do any away rotations? If so, were they helpful?

Yeah, I'm planning an away rotation for july or august. Only thing is I haven't decided where. I'm trying to get a feel for the different programs so that i can do a rotation at a place I might really like to end up.
Any help out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 4th-year who matched into ENT.

Here's my scoop on away rotations:

Pros
1) You can get letters of recommendation from well-known faculty at your away school. This is especially important in ENT--many of the faculty at different hospitals know each other personally.

2) You will improve your chances of matching at the away program.

3) You'll be able to compare the program with your home program, and decide for yourself what things you like and don't like.

4) It's nice to be in a different place for a month--you may even get a few weekends off to enjoy your new surroundings.

Cons
1) Other programs may ask during intereviews why you didn't choose their school to rotate at.

Some people go nuts with away rotations--I've heard of people who did 3 away rotations in addition to one at their own school. That's ridiculous. Do one, and if you have absolutely nothing else to do, do two. Then enjoy the rest of your 4th-year...it's by far the best one!!!

•••quote:••• I was wondering if anybody could give me insight or information on any of the following programs:
UF, MUSC, U of Mississippi, Med. Col. of Georgia.
••••Unfortunately, I didn't rotate or interview at any of these schools. Any others you'd like to know about?

Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking for info on any program in the southeast, especially any schools that don't emphasize research as much.

Spider719-

You're a 4th year matched in ENT? I've got a project that I'm looking for someone like you for (re: ENT). Email me directly [email protected] for details.
Thanks, Brian

I haven't been to any of the programs you mentioned, but for what it's worth, I have heard that U of Alabama and U of Arkansas have some of the best clinally oriented programs in the country.

Also, I don't know if you have been there yet but <a href="http://pub75.ezboard.com/botolaryngologyresidencyapplicants" target="_blank">this Otolaryngology message board</a> has a section on oto residency programs with discussions that might be useful to you.