Calling PDs: How many interview invites do you send out (total)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmericaAmerica

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I lay my head down and pre-emptively apologize if this has been addressed in another thread. I have looked throughout SDN and can't find a solid answer, maybe it's poor research abilities or maybe the answer isn't there.

My question is how many interview invites do you extend to applicants throughout the entire season? I have heard numbers as low as 90 and as high as 300.

Members don't see this ad.

It's usually a 10:1 ratio...usually being the key word. Look on the Freida website it should have that information under each program.

Applicant #: Invite # is the ratio you're talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
10 invites per 1 residency spot available in their program

I was long-time PD at ACGME program, still core faculty and active with recruitment. Big difference between # of invites and # of actual interviews done. We typically try to interview about 10 candidates per spot. However, not everyone you invite accepts or comes for the interview, so you may need to invite 40-50% more than that to actually meet your 10:1#. Varies from year to year and by individual program.

That makes a lot of sense. And I imagine more competitive programs in more desirable areas do not usually have to invite much above their 10:1 numbers.