Calling residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaydoc3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI

I've seen people ask about whether or not to call residency programs to find out what's going wth your app. My answer would be yes. I started calling programs that I hadn't heard from a couple of weeks ago a here are a few of my results.

Vandy- actually let me schedule an interview on the phone (good thing too because their slots were filling up)

U of Chicago- the res. director called me that night

U ov Virginia- sent me an offer that day by email

Most programs would tell you where your application was in the process (i.e. "it's on the director's desk") and several stated that they would tell the director that I had called and voiced my desire to interview.

No one sounded the least bit irritated my my call, and most were very friendly.

Members don't see this ad.

I took your advice, and I am so glad I did!

One program had "lost" my application. Something about filters on ERAS. By calling, I'll get a review at a place that originally would not have considered my application. I am also applying to places near home and I have a flexible schedule, so they are keeping me in mind if they have any last minute cancellations. No one seemed put out by my calling, and some places seemed to take it as a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up Desperado. I just called UCLA Harbor today and discovered that I had been offered an interview. No email had come my way either.....

Was told by Christiana today that another round of invites went out this morning but that there was a problem with ERAS and email was not going through the server. I still have not received the email but was able to schedule the interview when I called.

Found out from a few programs that I called that I would not be offered an interview and from a few others that I was on a hold list.

We were told by our registrar that we should not use Hotmail accounts as our primary email address. Many applicants using Hotmail have had program emails diverted to their junk mail folders or barred altogether. We were advised to go into our ERAS profile and change our email address if we had previously listed Hotmail accounts. Apparently this has not been a problem on Yahoo.