Calling the admissions people repeatedly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a internship this summer (I have posted several times about this) and I called March 25th and asked them when they would be giving out decisions. The lady said that they were doing that now and I should get it by today or tomorrow. Then she asked me my name, and said actually that I would get it by the end of the following week (i.e. by April 2). Well, it's like April 7, hate to impatient, but what's the deal? Should I call again? I have already called twice before and don't want to harass anyone...What sort of protocol is there for this kind of thing? I am thinkin maybe I should just sit tight.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have called enough. Obviously they aren't able to give you an honest estimate of when you'll be receiving your decision, so what's the point of asking yet again?

I know its not fun, but just sit tight. Best of luck!

Originally posted by DMBFan
What sort of protocol is there for this kind of thing? I am thinkin maybe I should just sit tight.

I disagree, I think it is incredibly rude for a program that desires to maintain any sort of positive reputation to publish a notification date and then push it back and push it back until you have no idea what's going on. They shouldd realize that you need to make plans for your summer: find housing, make travel arrangements, etc., and that the least they can do is give you a date by when you will CERTAINLY know about the program. If it were me, I would call the office and politely say,
"Hi, this is __. As you may remember I have called a few times to find out when I should expect to hear about the internship. I understand if (you/the committee...) need more time to make the final decisions, but as I have to start making arrangements for housing (...etc) as soon as possible, I would really appreciate it if you could give me a date." etc etc

Members don't see this ad :)
No Egrets, I agree! I mean when I called them before, I told them that you were my first choice and I had already been accepted to another program and didn't want to say no to them unless I was sure that I would get into their program. The lady didn't even respond and just said well you should wait until late next week! I might call them tomorrow....

No Egrets, I agree! I mean when I called them before, I told them that you were my first choice and I had already been accepted to another program and didn't want to say no to them unless I was sure that I would get into their program. The lady didn't even respond and just said well you should wait until late next week! I might call them tomorrow....

I'm in the exact same boat. My PhD summer research starts on the 17th of May at MCO, and I have yet to hear high or low of what will happen with the MD side of my application. Kinda cuttin' it close. I feel bad berating them. But then again, by agreeing to the PhD without the MD side, I have to rescind my applications at all the other schools I'm waitlisted at. Additionally, who knows if I'll get off the waitlist over the summer.

sheesh... talk about stress....

Come'on MCO...

I am trying to get a internship this summer (I have posted several times about this) and I called March 25th and asked them when they would be giving out decisions. The lady said that they were doing that now and I should get it by today or tomorrow. Then she asked me my name, and said actually that I would get it by the end of the following week (i.e. by April 2). Well, it's like April 7, hate to impatient, but what's the deal? Should I call again? I have already called twice before and don't want to harass anyone...What sort of protocol is there for this kind of thing? I am thinkin maybe I should just sit tight.

"I think you should wait seven days.
Seven days?
Yeah Mikey, it used to be that three days was the standard , but now seven days is money."