1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

calvin cycle (dark rxn)

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by joonkimdds, Jan 7, 2009.

1. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    DAT destroyer says 6 cycle is required to make 1 glucose.
    I am wondering why it takes 6 cycle instead of 2 cycle.

1 cycle = 3 CO2, 9ATP, 6NADPH added to Rubisco and 3RuBP.

It becomes 6 of 3PGA ==> 6 of G3P and only 1 of them is used to make glucose.

Since G3P is 3carbon, and glucose is 6 carbon, we need to repeat this cycle one more time to make 2 of G3P = 2 of 3 carbon = 6 carbon = glucose.

so I think only 2 cycles are required to make 1 glucose instead of 6 cycle.

Another question I have is, what do the concentration of H and Mg2+ stored in chlorophyll have something to do about this cycle?

2. Svart Aske

Svart Aske is stabbing his eyes out
    10+ Year Member

Each cycle only starts with 1 CO2 and 1 RuBP (not 3), so it takes 6 cycles to produce a glucose.

I don't have my textbook with me, but I think Mg is just a component of the chlorophyll pigment, while the H+ concentration difference across the lumen and thylakoid membrane of the chloroplast creates an electrochemical gradient that makes chemiosmosis, and hence ATP production, possible.

#2 Svart Aske, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009