Cameras revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elephantitan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tis the season and I'm looking into a digital camera for Christmas. I don't want to rehash everything that has been discussed in past threads about the pros and cons of all the cameras but I was wondering if anyone knows of new models that are better or worse than predecessors. It's been a while since that thread and electonics are always changing and "improved" models sometimes drop minor features that are important to a small segment. Anyway, any updates would be appreciated. Nothing like shopping in the last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Elephantitan said:
Tis the season and I'm looking into a digital camera for Christmas. I don't want to rehash everything that has been discussed in past threads about the pros and cons of all the cameras but I was wondering if anyone knows of new models that are better or worse than predecessors. It's been a while since that thread and electonics are always changing and "improved" models sometimes drop minor features that are important to a small segment. Anyway, any updates would be appreciated. Nothing like shopping in the last week.

I recommend the Canon Powershot S500 Digital Elph. Great for fun and outstanding for clinical/slit lamp stuff. :thumbup:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product_j...3958&Type=PI&Category=Electronics&dcaid=17194

What features are most important for clinical use?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any experience using a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 (5.1 MP, Carl Zeiss lens) for taking ophthalmological pictures? According to the tech geeks, it is supposed to be superior to the Canon S500... :D

PPV said:
Does anyone have any experience using a Sony Cybershot DSC-W1 (5.1 MP, Carl Zeiss lens) for taking ophthalmological pictures? According to the tech geeks, it is supposed to be superior to the Canon S500... :D

I haven't tried the Sony, but the brands that I've tried work: Minolta, Pentax, Canon, and Nikon. As long as the camera has a macro mode/lens, you can take photos with the slit lamp. :thumbup:

Perhaps I should get this camera and try it out too; however, the Canon is what I started with. If it isn't 'broken', then I can't justify getting a new camera yet. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...5654?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

Some disadvantages to consider about the Sony camera:

1) Powered by 2 AA batteries (NiMH rechargeables included).

Cameras that run on NiMH AA batteries instead of LiON usually do not run as long before running out of power. With the Canon LiON battery, I can use my camera all week without the flash or over 150 shots and use the LCD often before requiring recharge. The LiON fully charges in 2-3 hours too.

2) Memory Stick

I don't like Memory Sticks because of the cost. A 512 MB stick is over $120. You can get a 512 MB compact flash or SD memory for under $60.