cAMP and ATP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5words

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, EK actually says cAMP is made when ATP levels are low. Which is not ringing home!! Don't you need ATP to make CAMP? or doesnt Adenyl Cyclase convert ATP to CAMP? if so wouldnt a decrease in ATP decrease CAMP level as well?

image hosting

image hosting
Is it a mistake from their part? because it's not making sense to me

@aldol16

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remember that cAMP is a signaling molecule. I believe it has to do with the cAMP-dependent protein kinase A's activity.

Remember that cAMP is a signaling molecule. I believe it has to do with the cAMP-dependent protein kinase A's activity.
yeah, i updated the post so that you can read their explanation.. They're basically saying that there is an inverse correlation with ATP and CAMP, which doesnt make sense since ATP + AC (enzyme) ----> CAMP

wait, le chatellier princicple ... Wow, it;s kinda make sense... increase CAMP should def decrease ATP levels, but the ATP levels were already low to start with , so i dont know how they got there. So, @aldol16, i kinda undertsand the gist behind high CAMP, low ATP due to Le Chatellier.. However, this still doesnt explain "Camp is made when ATP concentrations are low, which you would expect when the mitochondria are damaged"

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, le chatellier princicple ... Wow, it;s kinda make sense... increase CAMP should def decrease ATP levels, but the ATP levels were already low to start with , so i dont know how they got there. So, @aldol16, i kinda undertsand the gist behind high CAMP, low ATP due to Le Chatellier.. However, this still doesnt explain "Camp is made when ATP concentrations are low, which you would expect when the mitochondria are damaged"

I think they're just trying to get at a mass balance. Assuming that adenosine isn't simply degraded, then you have a fixed amount of adenosine that is then distributed across various chemical species. So if ATP is low, then that means the concentrations of the other species must be relatively high. It's kind of like moving money between various accounts. Say you have $750 and it's split evenly between accounts A, B, and C. Now you take $100 from account A and move it to account B. The total amount of money you have has to stay the same. So the balance of A has decreased whereas the balance of B has increased because the money has gone from A to B.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they're just trying to get at a mass balance. Assuming that adenosine isn't simply degraded, then you have a fixed amount of adenosine that is then distributed across various chemical species. So if ATP is low, then that means the concentrations of the other species must be relatively high. It's kind of like moving money between various accounts. Say you have $750 and it's split evenly between accounts A, B, and C. Now you take $100 from account A and move it to account B. The total amount of money you have has to stay the same. So the balance of A has decreased whereas the balance of B has increased because the money has gone from A to B.
So, i guess the trick to this question was to assume constant adenosine concentrations?