Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. I've been a camp counselor in a medically-supervised summer camp for children affected by the same class of disorders for the past few years. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to mark this experience as clinical or non-clinical volunteering.
The camp is chartered by a major local hospital group for children with a qualifying diagnosis. Some campers are effectively stabilized, others require ongoing treatment. AFAIK, none were directly brought from a medical facility for a day trip or something of the sort (no inpatient campers). The camp itself held at a separate, non-hospital affiliated site built for special needs/medically intensive individuals. It is not an outpatient location. All campers are independent with self-care tasks, although there's some variation in terms of what care is needed; some need none, the others may need frequent checks from the medical team.
Disclaimer: I am not on the medical team myself. Much of my work as a camp counselor is auxiliary to them; taking campers to and from three daily medicine checks, occasionally assisting nurses (but not directly performing) daily maintenance/cleaning of prosthetics/implants, and monitoring at night for any unexpected issues.
I understand there's a measure of discretion here; this is not a formal clinical setting and the majority of my duties overlap with those of any other traditional summer camp counselor, like med checks and having an eye for safety in general, but I also recognize that a handful of my responsibilities cross a threshold (if just) and that there is a strong clinical nature to the premise of the camp.
The camp is chartered by a major local hospital group for children with a qualifying diagnosis. Some campers are effectively stabilized, others require ongoing treatment. AFAIK, none were directly brought from a medical facility for a day trip or something of the sort (no inpatient campers). The camp itself held at a separate, non-hospital affiliated site built for special needs/medically intensive individuals. It is not an outpatient location. All campers are independent with self-care tasks, although there's some variation in terms of what care is needed; some need none, the others may need frequent checks from the medical team.
Disclaimer: I am not on the medical team myself. Much of my work as a camp counselor is auxiliary to them; taking campers to and from three daily medicine checks, occasionally assisting nurses (but not directly performing) daily maintenance/cleaning of prosthetics/implants, and monitoring at night for any unexpected issues.
I understand there's a measure of discretion here; this is not a formal clinical setting and the majority of my duties overlap with those of any other traditional summer camp counselor, like med checks and having an eye for safety in general, but I also recognize that a handful of my responsibilities cross a threshold (if just) and that there is a strong clinical nature to the premise of the camp.