campbell, and non-campbell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalplan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading...it looks like campbell's is good for almost all parts of dat bio, implying that questions are pretty much general (right?) ....however sometimes people talk about different things that they saw on the dat that campbell doesnt really cover specifically (i could be wrong). For example, developmental bio questions regarding things like bicoid, caudal (drosophila development), histology questions, like identifying certain tissues from a picture.....

but these things ARE mentioned in campbell (sort of). Bicoid for example is mentioned and talked about in campbell. I don't believe there is a histology chapter in campbells, but i suppose you can infer if you study the photos in campbells....

my question is: so is it accurate to say that if all one did was know campbell inside and out (i mean actually understanding)...then would one theoretically get every point right on the bio section? I.e., is it possible to get almost every point right on dat bio if your coming right out of AP bio from high school and feel like you understand every single concept in campbell (im just speaking completely hypothetically here)

last point i wanted to make...and since im sort of a biochem fan...this is skewed towards biochem....

The concept of GLUCONEOGENESIS is NOT mentioned in campbells (im going by the 7th ed.)....or at least its not in the index, and i don't remember reading about it in the energy conversion chapter. Same thing with concepts like ketone bodies, and cholesterol synthesis with enzymes like HMG-CoA reductase, etc, etc. Since they're not mentioned in campbells, can one assume that they will NOT be on the DAT for example?, or is it better to be on the safe side and just study things like that? I'm not personally worried about biochem since i sort of am confident with it, but there may be concepts of equal obscurity in other sections of biology im not so familiar with (plants, obscure taxonomy questions)...

so bottom line question: can every question on dat bio be answered based on evidence from campbells in some way or another, or can questions appear that may not have been talked about in campbells?

Members don't see this ad.

You should understand DAT "makers" can do anything they want. I would say no, if you knew that book in and out then I still think its very possible to end up with a score other than 30.
By the way: AP tests were a joke, you could get a 5 without studying half the material, no sarcasm there.

GOOD LUCK

You should understand DAT "makers" can do anything they want. I would say no, if you knew that book in and out then I still think its very possible to end up with a score other than 30.
By the way: AP tests were a joke, you could get a 5 without studying half the material, no sarcasm there.

GOOD LUCK

Just wondering- did you take the DAT yet? If so, how would you compare the material with campbells?

Also, if AP is a joke, then why do many ppl on these forums say cliff's ap bio is a valuable resource for dat bio studying?

Cliffs AP bio review book is superb! I've been studying from that book for the past 6 years (of course not consistently) and it has never let me down :). it provides excellent detail and lends fourth to deeper details that you probably already know... I didn't even buy a bio book (thanx to cliffs) while gong through my life sciences at UCLA. and (aside from LS1:trees n animals n other trash of that sort), I blew the curve.

I didn't say anything about the material in the AP Cliffs book, I simply said the tests are a joke. Everyone says that AP Cliffs book is good.
Not taken DAT yet.
Basically from what I know, Bio on the real DAT is crazy hard, no matter how much you study it will be a PAIN.