Campbell (CUSOM) vs. Midwestern (AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilqt123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
CUSOM

Pros:
  • New SIM lab with hololens, new facilities
  • 100% match rate for 2 consecutive years - impressive for a new school
  • Cheaper tuition than AZCOM
  • Cheaper rent than in Glendale
  • Seemed like the future of DO schools - lots of collaboration with nearby MD schools and professors that come from Duke, UNC, etc.
Cons:
  • Mandatory attendance (most likely not a huge deal since I'm the type of person that would go to class regardless)
  • Mandatory dress code
  • I'm not used to living in a really rural area

AZCOM

Pros:
  • In state (close to home)
  • Established program/good reputation
  • Friendly interviewers
  • Got along well with fellow interviewees
Cons:
  • Tuition is expensive ~$68k (~$20k more than CUSOM)
  • Intensive exam schedule - med student said that he had 2-3 exams per week almost every week
  • Large class size - anatomy professor said 12 students shared 1 cadaver, which seems inefficient
Summary: Overall, I really like both schools. I just don't know how much value to place on certain pros/cons for each school. My gut feeling is to go with Campbell, but I still feel myself being pulled toward Midwestern. I'm not sure if saving $20k a year in tuition by going to Campbell is worth being far from home and missing out on attending a more established school. Would reputation play a large role in residency matching? I'm also not familiar with the quality of rotations at each school, so if some current students could shed some light on that, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Following. I have a similar decision involving CUSOM except its vs WVSOM. Leaning towards CUSOM due to what they have been doing so far, seems like something is right due to board pass rates, placements, residencies, and board scores.

mandatory attendance is my only real CUSOM con but it looks like students are making due with it. Allegedly its 80% mandatory so you can miss 1 day per week and supposedly Friday is a 1/2 day. Ive heard great things about AZCOM though, definitely a great school.

80K difference might be significant especially when that bad boy starts accruing interest, I'm worried about a 40K over 4 year difference.

I HATE the idea of mandatory attendance and AZCOM is more established. How close to AZCOM is home?

Members don't see this ad :)
I HATE the idea of mandatory attendance and AZCOM is more established. How close to AZCOM is home?
The thing is, I’m not sure if mandatory attendance is a big deal for me since I’d probably go to class anyway. If anything, I’d just study on my own in the back of the class or something. To answer your question, AZCOM is 1 hour from my house.

Mandatory attendance s important even if you typically plan to attend class. What if you have something else schedule or you have problems at home. Maybe you are tired that day or you have to help your wife/ GF with something then all of a sudden it's very convenient to miss a class or two and not stress.

I will also say that 1 Hr distance is a determining factor if your family is a positive influence. You can live 25 mins from campus and be 35 mins from your family.

Id vote for AZCOM because of family support.

Inaugural grad of CUSOM here.

Do you have an idea of what forms of medicine you are interested in?

I’m really drawn to pediatrics since I’ve worked with kids so often and loved it! I’m also considering family medicine, neurology, and psychiatry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile