DMU vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananabread224

Reaction score
DMU
Pros
  • OG school
  • New campus
  • I'm from Des Moines so I would save money by living at home
  • Seems to match well for academic IM in the midwest

Cons
  • Not super excited particularly about moving back to my hometown and worried about having a social life while living at home (being removed from my peers)
  • Unclear about how available research opportunities are
  • Worried about lottery system rotations and the Central Iowa Cohort (which wouldn't be a huge problem money wise living at home)

CUSOM
Pros
  • Seems to also match well academic IM but more in the East area
  • Seems like there are more research opportunities with UNC, Duke, WF connections but unclear if I'm just looking at the wrong information
  • Also seems to have more opportunities for global health

Cons
  • Zero support system, 12 hours away from all friends and family
  • Rural campus
  • Newer school
  • Would want to do clinical rotations in either Charolette or Raleigh but I think those spots are limited
  • Monday exams (not sure what DMU is though)

Summary: my goal is to eventually sub-specialize in maybe heme/onc (also feeling very openminded, I love lots of areas of medicine so I could see this changing, but am definitely thinking internal medicine for sure). Want to match into an academic IM and I feel like research would be an important part of this. Costs of both schools are pretty comparable so that's not a huge issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Stay close to home and save the money. Both are good schools, but Campbell does not offer enough to push it over the edge.