• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Campbell sets step 1 and 2 filter for MD student.

MADD!!!

5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
    This thread is blown out of proportion. This is a clear signal to IMG’s/FMG’s to not apply here. Some IMG IM programs do the same thing (ex. Easton Hospital says 235+ step 1 and usmle only to ward off DO’s AND USMD’s with the assumption that if you even did have a score that high you wouldn’t want to go there anyways).

Reactions: 3 users
    About the Ads

OddNath

15+ Year Member
    Jun 20, 2005
    Houston
    1. Attending Physician
      Forgive my ignorance- don’t most DO students take both COMLEX and USMLE? If that’s the case, then wouldn’t this 250 step 1 cutoff hurt the DO students as well?

And, after 2020, will *all* DO students have to take step 1? Something I haven’t really understood.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
      Jan 14, 2006
        This thread is blown out of proportion. This is a clear signal to IMG’s/FMG’s to not apply here. Some IMG IM programs do the same thing (ex. Easton Hospital says 235+ step 1 and usmle only to ward off DO’s AND USMD’s with the assumption that if you even did have a score that high you wouldn’t want to go there anyways).

Exactly. This is the first time I ever heard of Campbell and I’ve been in medicine for a long time. It is a nonissue for USMD’s because most are not aware of Campbell.

Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Bruh

2+ Year Member
        Feb 25, 2018
          Forgive my ignorance- don’t most DO students take both COMLEX and USMLE? If that’s the case, then wouldn’t this 250 step 1 cutoff hurt the DO students as well?

And, after 2020, will *all* DO students have to take step 1? Something I haven’t really understood.
          Nah if you’re over the COMLEX cutoff they’ll look at you. We had an EM program director of a former AOA program that converted to ACGMe talk to our EM club. They said bc of the merger they have a 500 COMLEX and 230 usmle cutoff. But he said as long as you’re over the COMLEX cutoff you’re good.

Reactions: 1 user

OddNath

15+ Year Member
          Jun 20, 2005
          Houston
          1. Attending Physician
            Nah if you’re over the COMLEX cutoff they’ll look at you. We had an EM program director of a former AOA program that converted to ACGMe talk to our EM club. They said bc of the merger they have a 500 COMLEX and 230 usmle cutoff. But he said as long as you’re over the COMLEX cutoff you’re good.

Ah I see. Then, in their announcement, they should probably make clear that it’s a COMLEX 420 *or* step 1 250– currently it says “and,” which would imply that the DOs who had taken step 1 would be disqualified by a score < 250, which would defeat the entire purpose of this effort.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.