Campbell vs. Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wahizzle1

Hey Guys,

I'm having some trouble deciding whether to pick my acceptance from CUSOM or Touro Nevada. I was really impressed with CUSOM's facilities but they haven't had a graduating class so I don't really have a match list to go off of. I like that Touro Nevada has a good match list, but I'm from the east coast and I'm not sure if I'll be able to adapt being so far from home. Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I'm having some trouble deciding whether to pick my acceptance from CUSOM or Touro Nevada. I was really impressed with CUSOM's facilities but they haven't had a graduating class so I don't really have a match list to go off of. I like that Touro Nevada has a good match list, but I'm from the east coast and I'm not sure if I'll be able to adapt being so far from home. Any insights?

Campbell.

Great rotations, in house residencies, and seriously, f**k living anywhere near Las Vegas.

I consider Campbell and Marian to be very similar: They're both very new schools with great rotations that I expect really good things from. They're unproven now, but they're doing everything right, unlike certain schools that I will not name...

If you prefer to learn on your own cross any school with mandatory attendance off the list, CUSOM being one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote CUSOM. Having interviewed at both, I thought the warehouse at TUNCOM was depressing and the students did not seem as happy. They seem to have a good 3rd and 4th year though!

hey I just posted this thread few days ago haha, Im in the same predicatment you can check my thread for some other advice. I agree CUSOM facilities were amazing especially in comparison to TUNCOM but I also dont like mandatory attendance and typical new school hesitancy. Still got some time to ponder this one!

Wikipedia tells me that the CUSOM mascot is Gaylord the Camel, if that affects your decision in any way. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Reactions: 4 users
Idk I know that cost of living is going to be more expensive in Las Vegas but I guess the question here is whether it's worth taking the risk with the new school. I'm a little hesitant about moving to the west coast so far from home and if Campbell was more established and in a more urban area I would be going there hands down. I just don't know if I can survive 4 years in such a rural area, especially because I do want to practice in a large city like Philadelphia or New York...and I don't know if an education from Campbell with get me a residency there.

Idk I know that cost of living is going to be more expensive in Las Vegas but I guess the question here is whether it's worth taking the risk with the new school. I'm a little hesitant about moving to the west coast so far from home and if Campbell was more established and in a more urban area I would be going there hands down. I just don't know if I can survive 4 years in such a rural area, especially because I do want to practice in a large city like Philadelphia or New York...and I don't know if an education from Campbell with get me a residency there.

You will only be in that small area for two years, not four. You won't be doing rotations in Lilington.

The bolded is all on you and has nothing to do with the school. Just going to a DO school will be a greater hindrance to a residency in these places as they are usually competitive spots even for the uncompetitive fields.

Mandatory lectures are a huge consumer of time, and time is something that is precious in med school.

Reactions: 1 users
The mandatory lectures are terrible, but the students are mostly happy and rotations are solid. 1 vote for CUSOM.