Can a below average student still beast step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You aren't alittle curious what he actually got? I know I am

Even if he got a 270 his point was still bogus. People who do well the first two years are already at a huge advantage in terms of knowledge, and they're not all going to suddenly start half-assing things in the 4-5 weeks before the test. There's a reason people used to only study a couple of days for Step 1: because it tests things that you should already know. Of course there are the over-achievers who underperform as well as the Rainman-esque slackers who excel, but the general trend is obvious to the point of being axiomatic.

And most of the people in this thread have already taken Step 1 and gotten their scores, so I don't see why they would waste any more time thinking about it. Acta est fabula. Time to move on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if he got a 270 his point was still bogus. People who do well the first two years are already at a huge advantage in terms of knowledge, and they're not all going to suddenly start half-assing things in the 4-5 weeks before the test. There's a reason people used to only study a couple of days for Step 1: because it tests things that you should already know. Of course there are the over-achievers who underperform as well as the Rainman-esque slackers who excel, but the general trend is obvious to the point of being axiomatic.

And most of the people in this thread have already taken Step 1 and gotten their scores, so I don't see why they would waste any more time thinking about it. Acta est fabula. Time to move on.

I would be more amused if he got a low score, high one you are right I wouldn't really care.

You're right though, I should probably move on from step, but it's hard to do! Maybe I've grown to love my previous captor

Members don't see this ad :)
Got around national avg. Too lazy to actually post a screen shot for you vultures. But go ahead and talk ****, I'm unfollowing this thread and I won't read it anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
He always does this. It's outside his realm of possibility for someone to be lazy and also smart and a good test taker. I had a 3.5 GPA from a ****ty school and got a 38 on my MCAT after some half-assed studying for 3 weeks. I currently cram for every one of my med school tests and am 3rd quartile but I guarantee I'll break a 250.

Got around national avg. Too lazy to actually post a screen shot for you vultures. But go ahead and talk ****, I'm unfollowing this thread and I won't read it anyway.

Not here to make you feel bad, but this is a(nother) good n=1 of MCAT=/=Step 1. Killed the MCAT after being an average pre-med, then got an average step 1 score after being an average/below average med student.

Although I can understand your level of self-confidence and willingness to guarantee >250, 250+ is an incredible score despite SDNs score distribution and most people don't get there.

Congrats on passing and being done!

Step 1 and the mcat are very different tests
This is true, my score for MCAT was unimpressive (31) but I scored extremely well on Step 1. I don't think anything I learned in college was helpful in medical school, and the way you approach studying is completely different.

This is true, my score for MCAT was unimpressive (31) but I scored extremely well on Step 1. I don't think anything I learned in college was helpful in medical school, and the way you approach studying is completely different.

How do you study differently in medical school?

Lol.

Such delicious tears

Reactions: 7 users

Idk I approached MCAT and Step 1 the same. Lots of questions and a couple of books to read.

Agree that the MCAT is very different from Step 1. The MCAT is (or was, don't know about the new version) very abstract, closer in spirit to an IQ test; Step 1 questions I found to be quite straightforward, maybe a slight trick thrown in here or there but generally all you needed to answer them was knowledge of some discrete fact. Of course scores on the two are correlated, as are scores on all standardized tests, but nobody should think that Step 1 is like the SAT where a naturally-gifted student can walk in and dominate with minimal prep. At least one person I know with a decent MCAT score but mediocre performance the first two years thought that her test-taking ability would get her by on Step 1; she ended up failing. Don't be that girl (or guy).

Saying "around national avg" likely translates to "a little below average." The moral of this story and many others: below average medical student put out a below average Step 1 score. Given that you aggressively taunted multiple people in this thread (who have actually gone through the process) and that you would have beat your chest like a drum had you come remotely close to 250, it seems pretty fair that people inquired about your score. There's no need to act all sensitive about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just what we need, for the usual egotists and their clapping seals to come out and say "I told you so."
Nah, not at all. I know 0% about this thread. Which is why I'll admit I put foot in mouth with that response.

Agree this petty stuff is prime example of why allo sucks so much these days

Petty? I call this educational, as in shattering the illusion that "If I study hard, I will beast the exam."

I competely agree. And serous would be one to whine about trophy generation. He made it a competition. He talked ****. He didn't show up. Man up and admit you were bested.

He's the one who was talking big about getting a 250 as if anyone could do it
Right on time. Who are you talking about, @Serous Demilune or @Kaustikos? Because neither of them said that. The discussion was about the correlation of preclinical grades with Step 1 score. No one has said getting a 250 is easy.

To quote, "I currently cram for every one of my med school tests and am 3rd quartile but I guarantee I'll break a 250." implies in itself that the task is easy.

Reactions: 2 users
Whoa. I'm the OP. Randomly went on the allo board and found my thread still alive and kicking... I sincerely hope that no one thought I was trying to be an a** with my initial question. Of course I think people who work hard all through M1/2 have a better chance of hitting a step 1 home run. I just needed some reassurance at the time that I still had a shot at not bombing the thing (and maybe had a chance to even do well on it) if I worked hard to try to make up for earlier M2 burn out.

@Kaustikos, I didn't ever intend on posting my score report on SDN and I feel kind of weird if people are waiting around for me to do that? I actually take my exam next week, and later than I initially intended, due to some family stuff that happened during my study period. Definitely still hoping to "beast" the exam! But in all honesty, my beasting criteria seems to be pretty small-fry for SDN standards :) I still would be exceptionally happy to score in the 230s.

Whoa. I'm the OP. Randomly went on the allo board and found my thread still alive and kicking... I sincerely hope that no one thought I was trying to be an a** with my initial question. Of course I think people who work hard all through M1/2 have a better chance of hitting a step 1 home run. I just needed some reassurance at the time that I still had a shot at not bombing the thing (and maybe had a chance to even do well on it) if I worked hard to try to make up for earlier M2 burn out.

@Kaustikos, I didn't ever intend on posting my score report on SDN and I feel kind of weird if people are waiting around for me to do that? I actually take my exam next week, and later than I initially intended, due to some family stuff that happened during my study period. Definitely still hoping to "beast" the exam! But in all honesty, my beasting criteria seems to be pretty small-fry for SDN standards :) I still would be exceptionally happy to score in the 230s.

That stuff wasnt directed at you, your thread got really derailed unfortunately

The "top" pre-clinical students in my class pretty much all rocked step 1, with the exception of a couple you could sort of anticipate who did mediocrely (i.e. they were the classic "overachievers" who did well in years 1 and 2 by studying every tiny piece of minutiae imaginable but totally lacked common sense/savvy - so when they hit Step 1 they were not able to effectively focus on the high yield stuff/test taking strategies).

But we also had a ton of middle of the pack students who basically went beast mode for the summer and came out with a great score.

Just out of curiosity, but do med students share their scores with each other or are they posted? It seems like people on sdn know their classmates' scores, which didn't seem like the case for me when it came to MCAT scores.

Just out of curiosity, but do med students share their scores with each other or are they posted? It seems like people on sdn know their classmates' scores, which didn't seem like the case for me when it came to MCAT scores.

You don't go to your school's score parties afterwards?

For most, exam scores are like peoples income- usually don't discuss exact numbers. That's not to say people can't deduce how well you did based on what field of medicine you want to go into or the quality of the residency programs that you're applying to...

You don't go to your school's score parties afterwards?

Every point you scored under 260 was an additional dollar for the cover charge. For some reason not many people showed up.