Can a below average student still beast step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyInquisitor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here, about 4 months out from Step 1 and feeling pretty crappy about myself at the moment. I was an above average performer during M1 and this year... well, I don't know what's happened to me. Laziness? Burn out? Brain strain? Whatever the cause, I've found it quite difficult to motivate myself and as a result, I've performed below average for basically all of M2. I've never been in danger of failing anything but have been in the 30-40th percentile this year, overall.

I know I could have done better this year and I feel guilty about my performance, but it is what it is and I want to move forward from here. I'd like to get into a decent internal med residency if I can, because I'm interested cardiology. So I'd say I'm aiming for an average step 1 score, at least (230s). 240s would be awesome, but I don't know if I should even let myself dream about that.

What I'd like to know is:

1) Is 230s an achievable goal? I have 2.5 months of concurrent studying with classes and 6 weeks of dedicated prep-time before my test date. I haven't really done much studying up to this point. I've gone through about 3/4 of Pathoma and I look at First Aid intermittently along with classes, but I didn't always do FA with every block and I didn't annotate anything into FA yet :(

2) Anyone ever been in my situation? I feel like an absolute idiot right now - both for getting so burned out this year and because I just feel like there are so many blocks that I didn't learn as well as I should have. I don't know if these are ok feelings to have before step 1.

3) I know everyone's different but if anyone's got any specific study advice they feel is pertinent to my situation, let me have it!

Really appreciate any pearls of wisdom from you all.

Members don't see this ad.

You did well initially. You're not a below-average student; your work ethic is what's currently below average. Likely due to the reasons you listed above, in concert with the difficulty of M2 vs M1.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think 230s is possible for anyone who is getting at least decent grades in class and not in danger of failing anything. I think it's just a matter of getting out that funk and regaining that work ethic. If, OTOH, we're talking about really beasting Step 1 and getting 250+, well I have no idea. I imagine it's a combo of a lot of effort and just plain natural ability.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...230 is certainly an achievable goal. It will probably be the average score this year. As far as beasting step 1...I'm not sure about that. You have a lot of prep time, so use it wisely. Your situation sounds very similar to what I went through a couple of years ago. I had pretty much honoured everything as an M1....then lost all motivation as an M2. I didn't study nearly as hard as the majority of my classmates for step 1...10 days of solid study would probably be an overstatement. My goal was 230 and I came up a couple of points short of that. With that said, my advice to you is to dig deep and find some sort of motivation as you approach your dedicated study period. A good board score can make up for a multitude of sins. And though I doubt that you need to bang out a 240 to get into a decent IM programme, it can only help you in the long run. Also, your career choice may change as you rotate through different specialties during your clinical years. I've seen a good number of my classmates reach 3rd year, fall in love with a particular specialty, and then regret not having a better work ethic during their preclinical years when they realise the credentials required to be competitive for a residency position in that field. Best of luck!

230's is certainly a realistic goal

Yes, 230 is definitely achievable. It's basically the 50th percentile which is probably a rough average of your first and second year combined so far.

Advice, for what it's worth:
1) Start working through some question bank now. Doesn't matter which one. Use whichever one you learn most from. Get through all of it before dedicated prep time. Not only will this help your test taking, but will help identify specific weaknesses so you can better tailor your dedicated prep time.

2) Schedule your step 1 to give yourself as much time as possible. You may need a little extra time to learn some things you may have brushed over. I don't generally advise long prep times, but if you're aiming to cross the 240 line, better safe than sorry.

3) Come up with a study plan that works for you, prioritizing learning/re-learning the big stuff you missed this year early in your prep time.

4) Structure your dedicated prep time so you are doing more studying/reviewing than questions at the start, and end up basically just doing questions with little bits of reviewing.

5) Each day, do questions FIRST before you study/review. If you study first, then you're simply testing your short term memory. Don't fall into this trap.

6) As early as possible (now?), start working up to doing full blocks, random, timed. Don't ever waste time doing things on tutor unless you're casually doing some questions while eating lunch, in class, etc., and may be intermittently distracted. One of the biggest hurdles in step 1 is learning how to quickly access the required information for a question, come up with a solid answer, and then immediately flush it all from your memory so you can approach the next questions with a fresh mind. This takes practice. Make sure you get enough of it. The random/timed blocks will also help you identify your weaknesses so you can adjust your studying accordingly.

7) Save the forgettable minutiae for the last week. Things like inborn errors of metabolism, weird syndromes, etc. Nobody really remembers these except for exams, so just give yourself a few hours in your last week to pound some of the random stuff into your memory. Don't waste time doing it early because you'll just forget it.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone can beast step 1 as is evidenced by the number of caribbean grads that study for 6 months

We were told that despite the myth here that you can be a sub-standard student and still beast step-1, that test scores are a good indication of how you'll do (the people who make all A's are the ones making 250+). Beasting Step 1 requires being on your game all 2 years and a true understanding of the material.

anyone can beast step 1 as is evidenced by the number of caribbean grads that study for 6 months

6 months??? Holy crap!

At my school we get about 5 weeks only.

IMO, 240 is about the mark the average student can hit with appropriate preparation. This means making a schedule and sticking to it, 6 solid weeks of studying 10 hours per day, getting through your study sources multiple times, and 2 passes through UW.

You only have to do this once. Do yourself a favor and make peace with not having any sort of life for 6 weeks. Deactivate your social media, save the TV shows, and lock yourself in a library. It may help to keep a timer and force yourself to pause it every time you take a break, look at email, eat lunch, etc. You can make it happen but it's gonna take work.

Reactions: 9 users
Have you tried a diagnostic exam to see where you're at right now? You might know more than you think you do. Or you will say holy crap, I just hope i pass. Either way, in my opinion, it would be more valuable information than randoms SDNers reassuring you that you are fine and just need to study for 6 weeks.

Have you tried a diagnostic exam to see where you're at right now? You might know more than you think you do. Or you will say holy crap, I just hope i pass. Either way, in my opinion, it would be more valuable information than randoms SDNers reassuring you that you are fine and just need to study for 6 weeks.

Good idea, however if you haven't started that 6 weeks of intense study you'll probably do terribly.

My friend and I both took a diagnostic at the end of second year before we started really studying: we scored 180 and 200 respectively. Scared us into studying pretty hard! Both of us scored 250+ on the real thing.

In my opinion it's all about how hard you study during those 6 weeks, so you can do it! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Ha. So let me clarify and say that to me, "beasting" Step 1 would be getting 240s. Don't worry, I'm not gunning for a 270!

Thank you all for the advice. I have 2 weeks of my current class left and then we start another course for the next 2 months that's a lot less time consuming. My plan is to actually annotate FA for this block, and make sure I get through all of Pathoma. Then over the next 2 months, I'll do a first pass of FA, fill in any gaps of knowledge, and do a whole Q-bank. Hopefully that's not too ambitious. But if I can do that, I feel like it'll put me in a good place before my dedicated study time.

I was thinking of using selected review books to fill in my knowledge. Reasonable? Yes? No?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're below average because you don't study as much as the top students but still have good test taking skills, you should have no problem getting an excellent score on Step 1.

if you're below average despite studying more than anyone you know and you suspect it's due to poor test taking skills, you probably won't get a very good score.

Reactions: 5 users
Does it seriously take 70 hours a week of studying just to get a decent Step 1 score? If so, what the hell would it take to get in the 260s? And wouldn't you be driven to the point of insanity if all you did all day was study everyday for 6 straight weeks? You need breaks.

there's no simple equation for step 1 score. I studied like 30 hours a week for a few weeks and got in the high 260s.

It's about efficient learning, pattern recognition and test-taking skills.

Reactions: 6 users
Does it seriously take 70 hours a week of studying just to get a decent Step 1 score? If so, what the hell would it take to get in the 260s? And wouldn't you be driven to the point of insanity if all you did all day was study everyday for 6 straight weeks? You need breaks.

Agree with above. Scoring that high takes a lot more than just a strong dedicated prep time or using the right resources. In the end, it takes 2 years of solid learning. My class had 8 people over 260 and all of them are AOA so their class grades were also very good.

My first NBME taken cold after M2/before dedicated prep was in the 250s. Studied ~2 weeks and landed mid 260s f0r step 1. Would have likely hit 270s if I'd slept at all the night before.

Studied <36 hours for Step 2 CK and did just as well.

It's about the learning and studying over the long haul far more than it is about how much you can cram in during your last few weeks. Beyond that, it's also a matter of refining your test taking ability, reading quickly and accurately, and then practicing enough so you calibrate your thinking to match the exam. All the 260+ scores in my class were strong students across the board and consistently did well and were well above the class average. Lots of different study methods and approaches between us.

By definition, "beasting" step 1 is done by a beast student. There are no below average students beasting step 1, bc if you did, you are by definition, not a below average student. You are a beast.

if you're below average because you don't study as much as the top students but still have good test taking skills, you should have no problem getting an excellent score on Step 1.
This is great to hear, I've been banking on it.

take it to the bank, as long as your interpretation of "no problem" is knowing how much you need to study to meet your goal and going out and getting **** done.

No. What I laid out is, IMO, the maximum necessary for anybody to get a 240. There are plenty of people who could study for half that time hit the 260 mark. This thread is about below average students who want to do well. The above will make that happen.

You'll prove to yourself over and over during subI season and residency that you can work "80" hours for 6 weeks. And then 6 more. And so on.

I'll be honest, I didn't see a ton of correlation between how people did in class and their step 1 scores. I'm sure there was a minor correlation, but that is about it. Step 1 is about preparing well in advance and lots and lots of questions. People that have efficient study habits will do well in less time.

The "top" pre-clinical students in my class pretty much all rocked step 1, with the exception of a couple you could sort of anticipate who did mediocrely (i.e. they were the classic "overachievers" who did well in years 1 and 2 by studying every tiny piece of minutiae imaginable but totally lacked common sense/savvy - so when they hit Step 1 they were not able to effectively focus on the high yield stuff/test taking strategies).

But we also had a ton of middle of the pack students who basically went beast mode for the summer and came out with a great score.

Same for my class. Our whole AOA chapter votes on potential new members, so we see the scores for the entire top quartile of our class and the next one. Step 1 scores were strong across the board without any exceptions.

There is definitely some SDN lore that says you can phone it in for 2 years and still pull out a great Step score if you use the right set of resources and study methods. I think we've all been trying to dispel this myth as it only does a disservice to upcoming students. For every unicorn 270+ coming out of the bottom half of the class, there's a herd of people hoping and praying to crack 220 or even just to pass.

Reactions: 4 users
Same for my class. Our whole AOA chapter votes on potential new members, so we see the scores for the entire top quartile of our class and the next one. Step 1 scores were strong across the board without any exceptions.

There is definitely some SDN lore that says you can phone it in for 2 years and still pull out a great Step score if you use the right set of resources and study methods. I think we've all been trying to dispel this myth as it only does a disservice to upcoming students. For every unicorn 270+ coming out of the bottom half of the class, there's a herd of people hoping and praying to crack 220 or even just to pass.

You remember the one amazing person because they're the exception, not the rule. But humans are very terrible at estimation and weighing odds. The lack of understanding of probability was very apparent when people were upset at meteorologists after it didn't snow a ton in new york city. They don't get the fact that if there's a 99% chance of something happening, it's very reasonable for it to not happen as well

you're talking in extremes. real people aren't actually trying to break 270. the only people trying to break 270 are some extreme hyper-neurotics obsessed with step 1. I would say "beasting" it for most people would be considered 250+

that's how this argument is always framed and it makes absolutely no sense. no one is saying you're going to go from a 70 average in class to getting a 285. however it's probably a bit more doable for an avg student to get a 250, which 99.99999% of medical students would consider a very good score

you're talking in extremes. real people aren't actually trying to break 270. the only people trying to break 270 are some extreme hyper-neurotics obsessed with step 1. I would say "beasting" it for most people would be considered 250+

that's how this argument is always framed and it makes absolutely no sense. no one is saying you're going to go from a 70 average in class to getting a 285. however it's probably a bit more doable for an avg student to get a 250, which 99.99999% of medical students would consider a very good score
He always does this. It's outside his realm of possibility for someone to be lazy and also smart and a good test taker. I had a 3.5 GPA from a ****ty school and got a 38 on my MCAT after some half-assed studying for 3 weeks. I currently cram for every one of my med school tests and am 3rd quartile but I guarantee I'll break a 250.

He always does this. It's outside his realm of possibility for someone to be lazy and also smart and a good test taker. I had a 3.5 GPA from a ****ty school and got a 38 on my MCAT after some half-assed studying for 3 weeks. I currently cram for every one of my med school tests and am 3rd quartile but I guarantee I'll break a 250.

it's like a self-fulfilling negative prophecy created to make the argument non-existent. I've never once read anyone anywhere near below average in their class talk about breaking 270

Considering 250 is above avg for all specialties, it is probably considered beasting the test, maybe 260 if you want to be above avg for any specialty at any program.

Yeah, it's definitely a little hyperbole for the sake of example, but not without precedent. There are definitely stories passed around here and elsewhere about people putting up ridiculous scores despite poor class performance. That's somewhat beside the point though.

I would take issue with your main point - a 250+ is NOT a doable score for an average or below average student. Obviously more attainable than a 270, but still highly unlikely. According to published norms tables, 250+ starts crossing the 90th percentile, with 255 being the 92nd percentile and 260 being 96th. While there may be some average students scoring that high, they are almost certainly in the minority. Going from <50th percentile in your class to ~90th percentile nationally is quite a leap.

The only people I know who did this were very good students who, early on, made a decision to focus all their efforts on boards and just pass classes. Without exception, they put in as many or more hours doing this each week than the top class students did focusing on our school's exams. In the end, we all put in similar hours and hit similar board scores, but the higher-performing in class students got AOA too.

In the end, anyone who wants to put up scores in the top 10% of students nationally will have to put in more effort than the other 90% if we assuming generally similar levels of intellect. Below average students will not beast step 1 unless they make radical changes and start being above average. The Step 1 forum (and my PM inbox) is full of freakouts by people who can't understand why their practice NBMEs are stuck below 220 or 230 and asking how to break 240 or 250.

Yeah, it's definitely a little hyperbole for the sake of example, but not without precedent. There are definitely stories passed around here and elsewhere about people putting up ridiculous scores despite poor class performance. That's somewhat beside the point though.

I would take issue with your main point - a 250+ is NOT a doable score for an average or below average student. Obviously more attainable than a 270, but still highly unlikely. According to published norms tables, 250+ starts crossing the 90th percentile, with 255 being the 92nd percentile and 260 being 96th. While there may be some average students scoring that high, they are almost certainly in the minority. Going from <50th percentile in your class to ~90th percentile nationally is quite a leap.

The only people I know who did this were very good students who, early on, made a decision to focus all their efforts on boards and just pass classes. Without exception, they put in as many or more hours doing this each week than the top class students did focusing on our school's exams. In the end, we all put in similar hours and hit similar board scores, but the higher-performing in class students got AOA too.

In the end, anyone who wants to put up scores in the top 10% of students nationally will have to put in more effort than the other 90% if we assuming generally similar levels of intellect. Below average students will not beast step 1 unless they make radical changes and start being above average. The Step 1 forum (and my PM inbox) is full of freakouts by people who can't understand why their practice NBMEs are stuck below 220 or 230 and asking how to break 240 or 250.
Honestly just sounds like the hard workers without a ton of intelligence to me. It's not hard to believe someone that has slacked a bit but is really smart could get a 250. Those are the types of people that try to do really well in comparison to their class rank. The dude grinding 12 hours a day to be 60th percentile isn't thinking he can break 250. The guy that spends 4 hrs a day and is 40th percentile is the one that can break 250. At the end of the day, it's a standardized test, so intelligence has a huge effect.

Honestly just sounds like the hard workers without a ton of intelligence to me. It's not hard to believe someone that has slacked a bit but is really smart could get a 250. Those are the types of people that try to do really well in comparison to their class rank. The dude grinding 12 hours a day to be 60th percentile isn't thinking he can break 250. The guy that spends 4 hrs a day and is 40th percentile is the one that can break 250. At the end of the day, it's a standardized test, so intelligence has a huge effect.

Agreed - the sheer intelligence wildcard can pretty much trump anything. The numbers tell us definitively though that 90% of medical students never actually crack into the 250s, for whatever reason. I think the 4hr/4oth%ile guy has a shot at the big score, but he has one heck of an uphill battle facing him. Depending on how long he's phoned it in, it may be out of reach altogether. My sense after taking it:

1) Volume of knowledge >>> intelligence. It covers a LOT of material and you have to know it before you can integrate it.
2) Intelligence and test-taking skill is huge, but probably kicks in more toward the upper end of scores. Presumably, this test-taking ability is already factored in to his class percentile, so he's really looking at overcoming 2 years of slacking with 6 weeks of prep time.
3) Medical students tend to overestimate their own intelligence.
4) Med student often underestimate the intelligence of their peers. (ie. "sounds like the hard workers without a ton of intelligence")

The 40th-%ile student who claims to phone it in and plans to make up for it with a beastly step 1 score is far more likely to be a below-average medical student simply coping with his new reality than someone with a viable plan for success.

I'm trying to be as objective about this as possible. You're claiming there's a huge correlation between grades and step 1. If that was true, then step 1 wouldn't be significant at all. PDs wouldn't care about step 1 if it hugely correlated with your class grades, since they could just look at your grades. There's a reason step 1 is a HUGE % of the overall application. It factors in intelligence much more than grades do, just like all standardized tests.

I'm trying to be as objective about this as possible. You're claiming there's a huge correlation between grades and step 1. If that was true, then step 1 wouldn't be significant at all. PDs wouldn't care about step 1 if it hugely correlated with your class grades, since they could just look at your grades. There's a reason step 1 is a HUGE % of the overall application. It factors in intelligence much more than grades do, just like all standardized tests.

Nope. It's huge because the majority of schools only report P/F.

Many don't even report rank on the MSPE (ie. no rank, no code word, no appendix with definitions). Grades absolutely factor intelligence, but most PDs never get to see them. Step 1 is one of the few actual numbers they get to see and it just happens to be the same test taken by every MS2 in the country.

Step 1 is significant because there's no way to objectively compare grades between schools. How do you know a person at a P/F school performed as well as a person in an A/B/C/D system? Some schools give honors to a certain %age of the class, while others use a strict cutoff. And is that honors cutoff at 90%? Or 85%? Or 95%?

Step 1 was never designed to be used as a means to compare students; it was a test for minimum competency. But because different schools have such varied grading systems, Step 1 has become the de facto method for comparison.

Anecdotally, my school tracks Step 1 score vs. performance in the preclinical years (especially the 2nd year). It's almost a perfectly linear correlation. Grades DO correlate with Step 1 score. While yes, there are occasional outliers, most students who do well on Step 1 were exceptional students throughout. Of my friends, the ones who did mediocre on Step 1 (<230) were the same guys who did similarly poorly during the first 2 years.

You'll notice the people ITT who are arguing against a correlation have yet to take the test, while all the upper years/residents are saying there is a definite link between school performance and Step 1. There's a reason for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

This. What happened to me in terms of motivation this year is my fault. But all my classmates and even advisors seem to be very "eh if you're passing you're fine" about everything. I wish I hadn't heard any of this because I think it enabled me to fall into the trap of thinking that I could take it easy now, and study hard at the end for step 1 and make it up.

I'm lucky that I'm not aiming for a 250+. I'm working my butt off already, so here's to hoping for 230-240 with the time I have left.

It's true at my school. Basically, you get out of med school what you put into it. And this work ethic is reflected not only in knowledge base, but also Boards prep.

It's magic thinking for someone at the bottom of the class to assume that a huge effort in board prep will yield a good Board score. I see this all the time with our worst students: They're failing entire courses, and yet still think that they'll ace the final exam.

Someone remind me to come back to this thread in July and post screenshots of my transcript and score report.

I'll be the hero for all the people that BSed their way thru preclinicals only to get a 90th percentile Step 1.

The other thing is that despite all the SDN'er s with giant e-peens, there just aren't that many students out there slacking off and getting average grades purely because they think they know better and med school is a breeze.

tumblr_mssgmydEeY1rp1z8qo1_500.gif

To the original thread poster,

i think you will do fine.

Last edited:
Ladyinquisitor says she wants cardiology.
I just gave her the heads up on what she would have to do to get there. I was being generous and took the time to share everything I knew on the matter. This thread was going on and on about a measly 10 or 15 usmle points. I've analyzed the stats. It don't mean d$ck. But if you want something like derm or ortho then of course you must get very high usmle scores.
Southernsurgeon, ..........you're a surgery res, why are you even an expert on how to get cardiology. Are you just jealous and resentful bc she's gonna be banking more than you will and she won't have to go thru the military style crap you go through or the sh$t hours you have? I have to admit I was shocked when I found out cardio makes $400k. Interventional makes around $480k+. Ur ass is making around $300k gen surg, unless ur doing ortho $600k.

Last edited:
--

Last edited:
--

Last edited:
What is happening right now?

Step 1 is significant because there's no way to objectively compare grades between schools. How do you know a person at a P/F school performed as well as a person in an A/B/C/D system? Some schools give honors to a certain %age of the class, while others use a strict cutoff. And is that honors cutoff at 90%? Or 85%? Or 95%?

Step 1 was never designed to be used as a means to compare students; it was a test for minimum competency. But because different schools have such varied grading systems, Step 1 has become the de facto method for comparison.

Anecdotally, my school tracks Step 1 score vs. performance in the preclinical years (especially the 2nd year). It's almost a perfectly linear correlation. Grades DO correlate with Step 1 score. While yes, there are occasional outliers, most students who do well on Step 1 were exceptional students throughout. Of my friends, the ones who did mediocre on Step 1 (<230) were the same guys who did similarly poorly during the first 2 years.

You'll notice the people ITT who are arguing against a correlation have yet to take the test, while all the upper years/residents are saying there is a definite link between school performance and Step 1. There's a reason for that.

I'm one of those people who was mediocre for the first two years and did very well on Step I, and I STILL agree that there's a correlation.

Oh crap....uh is the picture of a coach a good thing or bad thing???? I went into
Auto defense mode cuz yesterday I took boards cs and the students weren't nice to me cuz i think i said something wrong but not sure what. They all stopped talking to me. So it was fight time. I frigging killed it. Slam dunk. I hope those douche bags all failed bc of me that's how mad I got.

Dat SEP is gonna be real borderline on your score report

--

Last edited:
To wordead,

You are very insensitive.
No I didn't take my medication. ( because it was nightline, dont need it.)
You are very rude and disrespectful.
You also do not have compassion.

I was diagnosed with ADHD
You should re-study your psych. (I surmise you are calling me psychotic)
I wouldn't want a pt in the future OD'ing on amphetamines
d/t your ignorant prescribing of Adderall to ADHD malingerer.

Don't worry I'm deleting this account now.
I see there is no point for me on here anymore.
Its filled with immature malignant medical students.

Wat.

To wordead,

You are very insensitive.
No I didn't take my medication. ( because it was nightline, dont need it.)
You are very rude and disrespectful.
You also do not have compassion.

I was diagnosed with ADHD
You should re-study your psych. (I surmise you are calling me psychotic)
I wouldn't want a pt in the future OD'ing on amphetamines
d/t your ignorant prescribing of Adderall to ADHD malingerer.

Don't worry I'm deleting this account now.
I see there is no point for me on here anymore.
Its filled with immature malignant medical students.

I think deleting your account is the most compassionate move here.