Can a colour blindness be a pharmacist?

Started by Kurtise
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, Kurtise,

I think you should study the parts of speech as one way to improve your english.

what is the different of color blindness and color-blind?🙁

I'm so sorry for my bad language skill.I will try my best to improve my english🙁

'different' is an adjective. You should use a noun ('difference') here.
'color blindness' is a genetic disability but not a person, so it can't become a pharmacist.
'color-blind' is an adjective, so a color-blind PERSON may be able to become a pharmacist.

I come from Hong Kong.I hope my english will be better after I come to U.S.

after I study in a cc for 2 years,may i transfer to a pharmacy school?
or I should study for two years more in university before I enter a PHARMACY SCHOOL?🙁
You don't have to complete any degree program. You only need to complete all the prerequisites, although some schools require or prefer a baccalaureate degree.
 
lol, I did some closet cleaning/re-organizing tonight too, and picked up my grad cap from storage too...odd coincidence. I guess people on SND on a Friday night are just lame like that 🙂

It just seems so strict to limit oneself to only American spelling to the point of being corrected, but I suppose I'm just not used to it as these things are so interchangeable in Canada (you can get away with either spelling). I could understand being corrected in grade school, for example, but at the college/university level, especially for an international student? But whatever, it's not for me to decide 🙂
In Nigeria where I'm from, both are acceptable. However, if you are using one form of English (whether British or American) in a document, you must be consistent, i.e., you should not use "color" in one paragraph and "colour" in the next.

And seeing as this thread was cross-posted in the pharmacy forum, I'm going to go ahead and merge the two.
 
Last edited:
Hi, Kurtise,

I think you should study the parts of speech as one way to improve your english.



'different' is an adjective. You should use a noun ('difference') here.
'color blindness' is a genetic disability but not a person, so it can't become a pharmacist.
'color-blind' is an adjective, so a color-blind PERSON may be able to become a pharmacist.


You don't have to complete any degree program. You only need to complete all the prerequisites, although some schools require or prefer a baccalaureate degree.
Thank you for you sharing.I will try to work hard on the parts of speech.
Oh,so after I finish cc for two years and reach all the prerequisites,then I can enter pharmacy school?
But,what's the prerequisites are?
I have search some informations from University of Washington.
http://depts.washington.edu/pha/students/prerequisites.html

That means I need to reach those prerequisites?
Do other pharmacy school require for same prerequisites? such as UCSF of UNC...

thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am so sorry for my poor english 🙁

Don't be sorry!! We can all understand what you are trying to say, but just be aware that your English will have to improve significantly in order to get into pharmacy school. I'm sure your English will improve over time 🙂

Good luck 🙂
 
In Nigeria where I'm from, both are acceptable. However, if you are using one form of English (whether British or American) in a document, you must be consistent, i.e., you should not use "color" in one paragraph and "colour" in the next.

And seeing as this thread was cross-posted in the pharmacy forum, I'm going to go ahead and merge the two.

Oh, I totally agree you should be consistent with the spelling within a document. Flip flopping back and forth would annoy me so much!!

But in this day and age of global culture, different spellings should be acceptable 🙂
 
I'm sorry to be nitpicking at this but you are not colour-blindness, you are colour-blind. It's just grating on my nerves when I see things like that.. my mom does that all the time where she uses nouns as though they were adjectives.

As for improving your English, have you considered getting tutoring? Or, does your school offer any kind of conversation tables where you can speak with students that can help you with your English? As with any language I think exposure and practice are just the best ways to improve and you'd pick up more conversational language than if you studied from a book or a tape.
tutored
 
Oh, I totally agree you should be consistent with the spelling within a document. Flip flopping back and forth would annoy me so much!!

But in this day and age of global culture, different spellings should be acceptable 🙂

Honestly, the whole world should just adopt the American spellings. They make more sense.
 
We're the dominant world culture. Haha, suck it.

Well, I'm NOT going to suck it, but I'm not going to argue with you either. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here, but seriously telling a girl to "suck it" is NOT appropriate. I'm sure you were "kidding", but still, that is not appropriate language.
 
Thank you for you sharing.I will try to work hard on the parts of speech.
Oh,so after I finish cc for two years and reach all the prerequisites,then I can enter pharmacy school?
But,what's the prerequisites are?
I have search some informations from University of Washington.
http://depts.washington.edu/pha/students/prerequisites.html

That means I need to reach those prerequisites?
Do other pharmacy school require for same prerequisites? such as UCSF of UNC...

thank you

Can any one may help me for my questions?🙁
 
Well, I'm NOT going to suck it, but I'm not going to argue with you either. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match here, but seriously telling a girl to "suck it" is NOT appropriate. I'm sure you were "kidding", but still, that is not appropriate language.

Now if only Canadians could teach the entire US some manners & about how to be nice/non-confrontational.
 
Can any one may help me for my questions?🙁

Yes you need to meet those pre-req requirements. Each school has their own requirements, including UCSF & UNC...so if you plan on applying to multiple schools, you need to take courses which match up with all of those schools pre-req's. Start researching this topic more by visiting PharmD program websites, and schedule a meeting with a pre-pharm advisor.... Also...check out www.pharmcas.org

the questions you're asking are rather basic and can be easily answered on your own.
 
Yes you need to meet those pre-req requirements. Each school has their own requirements, including UCSF & UNC...so if you plan on applying to multiple schools, you need to take courses which match up with all of those schools pre-req's. Start researching this topic more by visiting PharmD program websites, and schedule a meeting with a pre-pharm advisor.... Also...check out www.pharmcas.org

the questions you're asking are rather basic and can be easily answered on your own.

THANK YOU FOR YOU HELPING.
Let me go to their website and find more information about their requirements
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kurtise,

Here's the bottom line. Color Blindness won't affect your chance of becoming a pharmacist. But your language skills (written) will make it a lot more difficult for you to receive a PharmD in the US.

I don't know the level of your verbal skills and I do not know if you want to practice in America. But pharmacy is a profession of communication and effective communication is an important criteria.

If your goal is to practice in HK, please disregard what I said.
 
Kurtise,

Here's the bottom line. Color Blindness won't affect your chance of becoming a pharmacist. But your language skills (written) will make it a lot more difficult for you to receive a PharmD in the US.

I don't know the level of your verbal skills and I do not know if you want to practice in America. But pharmacy is a profession of communication and effective communication is an important criteria.

If your goal is to practice in HK, please disregard what I said.
I really want to practise in America because I love America!!!
I will try my best to improve my poor english in the following years before I apply for a pharmacy school.

There are some qusetions for cc.
The requirement of the University are different,some universities such as UCSF and UNC require physics and some universities such as university of washington don't require physics but require microbiology.So,what can I do if I want to apply muitiples of university after two years ago.Complete all those requirements or others?

Also,may you suggest a cc in Washington state for me which is good at study pharmacy and having those required courses?
thank you everyone for helping😀
 
I really want to practise in America because I love America!!!
I will try my best to improve my poor english in the following years before I apply for a pharmacy school.

There are some qusetions for cc.
The requirement of the University are different,some universities such as UCSF and UNC require physics and some universities such as university of washington don't require physics but require microbiology.So,what can I do if I want to apply muitiples of university after two years ago.Complete all those requirements or others?

Also,may you suggest a cc in Washington state for me which is good at study pharmacy and having those required courses?
thank you everyone for helping😀


I seriously doubt too many US pharmacy school will accept a non-US resident with a community college prerequisites. Espeically UCSF and UNC which are top ranked state schools in the US. I firmly believe qualified tax paying or children of tax paying US residents should be given the first chance to occupy the seats in those schools. Once you take the necessary steps to become a US resident, then I will change my mind about you.
 
I seriously doubt too many US pharmacy school will accept a non-US resident with a community college prerequisites. Espeically UCSF and UNC which are top ranked state schools in the US. I firmly believe qualified tax paying or children of tax paying US residents should be given the first chance to occupy the seats in those schools. Once you take the necessary steps to become a US resident, then I will change my mind about you.
Your meaning are the pharmacy school in U.S. will not accept a international student like me to study? 🙁
So,I can't study pharmacy in U.S.? 🙁
 
Your meaning are the pharmacy school in U.S. will not accept a international student like me to study? 🙁
So,I can't study pharmacy in U.S.? 🙁

Most schools that are funded by state tax $ do prefer residents over international students, but that does not mean you couldn't get in, it just means it would be very difficult. Going to a private (non-state-sponsored) school would be less likely to favor one group over another. One other issue you would probably run into is funding. As far as I'm aware, international students don't qualify for US-backed student loans. You'd have to come up with your own funding.
 
Kurtise, I would like to give you some encouragement in the sense that knowing another language (Cantonese in your case?) can help you when you do finally become a pharmacist. I don't know which aspect of pharmacy you intend to explore, but I work as a technician in a retail pharmacy, and I know several of our Vietnamese customers come to our store just because one of our pharmacists speaks Vietnamese and it's much easier to communicate with them. I'm sure at some point in your career as a pharmacist you would encounter a situation where a patient is more comfortable speaking a language other than English, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

The main things you need to do are work on your English, and complete your prerequisites, preferably at a college/univserity rather than a community college.
 
International students do not qualify for any federal financial aid. Some schools will make them put up the money before they start. A number of schools just don't accept them. Of the schools which accept them, you have to have phenomenal grades/PCAT scores.
 
Kurtise, I would like to give you some encouragement in the sense that knowing another language (Cantonese in your case?) can help you when you do finally become a pharmacist. I don't know which aspect of pharmacy you intend to explore, but I work as a technician in a retail pharmacy, and I know several of our Vietnamese customers come to our store just because one of our pharmacists speaks Vietnamese and it's much easier to communicate with them. I'm sure at some point in your career as a pharmacist you would encounter a situation where a patient is more comfortable speaking a language other than English, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

The main things you need to do are work on your English, and complete your prerequisites, preferably at a college/univserity rather than a community college.
okay.. Thank you for your sharing.
I will really work hard on my English and complete the prerequisites on my best. Thanks a lot!
 
A friend of mine from undergrad had a better gpa/pcat/pharmacy experience than me, but I got into a pharmacy school while she could not. I guess they basically told her that there were such limited spots for international students (she was from India) that they could not accept her.

Like genesis09 said, you need to have the best gpa/pcat scores available to compete for those limited spots.