Can a DO get into Pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tanner82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't help myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Couldn't help myself.

Impossible. Its never been done. Pipedream. No chance. No way. Your on crack. Your doomed. Get out. Hit the bricks pal. Daydreamer.

Troublemaker, we don't serve your kind, muckraker, Ida Tarbell, gossip hound, rumor mill maker.

Game over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't pediatrics part of primary care? And aren't DO's notorious for getting residencies in primary care?

Once the omnibus restraining order is lifted, yes, but you'll still have to register.

Only pediatric voodoo
Well the voodoo form obviously. But there was a roomer going around that a DO matched into an allopathic residency... I know its far fetched, but is this even possible, or legal?

Are you guys serious? Dang, Im going to an allopathic school then.

I almost had a heart attack when I read this thread title.

If you are ever having a heart attack... Simply Chant "Shalla Falla Shuta Ma" and sprinkle the magic osteopathic AT Still dust on your head and you are cured. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the protocol that DO's use for an acute MI right tri?

Any DO's matching into an allopathic residency will be burned at the stake for heresy. This was established by the washington administration

Oh that's right. But wasn't there some legal controversy in California a while back... there, you are only sentenced to wear the scarlet "DO" letters on your lab coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, the infamous scarlet DO, symbolizing "DONT". Hopefully, in a few years the "DO" will stand for "Can DO" instead.

Too bad Pediatrics isn't an option then.....oh well, there's still Neurosurgery. Just had a DO neurosurgeon fellow talk at our seminar this evening....pretty interesting stuff.

You guys crack me up! At first I thought, "God HELP that OP!" Then I saw that the poster was the ever-satirical Tanner-man.......

Maybe this thread will open people's eyes.....finally.

Strong work, men:cool:

Proctology is the only route for DO.

It is nice to see that we seem to have a good sense of humor.

Now stop being so witty so I can stop refreshing my browser and get back to studying path.....

I hear ya... I am trying to write a paper...

Can U Do Pm&r Or Omm As A Do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???????? Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Halp

edit: lulz! after posting this in all caps, the forum automagically "corrected" it, neat

I knew it... Just goes to show you that roomers are just roomers.

Unless you're talking about RUMORS (note correct spelling). As a side note...why would anyone want to do pediatrics! My concept of Hell is never ending well child exams!

Wow. This guy is on the ball! He definitely did not miss the thick layer of sarcasm all over this thread.

I didn't miss the sarcasm...just the poor spelling. I'm obsessive-compulsive, what can I say.

I didn't miss the sarcasm...just the poor spelling. I'm obsessive-compulsive, what can I say.

Whew! You had me worried for a second! :) I think it's safe to say we're all a little obsessive-compulsive around here. I think you have to be just to get through the application process! :cool:

It was one of those things were I knew it looked weird writting it but I did it anyways.

No

DOs can only do Derm, Rad, plastics and neurosurgery

They are still discriminated by MDs in places like pediatric, IM, Family medicine

So if you are set on pediatrics go MD....

I have been told by people that I'll only get to practice acupuncture. I wish I knew that before applying to osteopathic schools.

DVDA. It's the only way a DO my age can find work in this town.

I have been working with a DO pediatrician (shadowing with him), and he did an MD residency. He said it was "getting the best of both worlds" -- because he still learned the values that a DO school had to offer, but then got to work closely with other MD's during his residency (which mirrored what he has to do now as an attending -- collaborate with both DOs and MDs). Plus, he said that the MD residents he worked with were really interested in learning about the OMM skills he had acquired in DO school, and truly thought that both types of residents (himself and the MDs) had that much more of a memorative & learning residency as they worked together.

Its what I plan to do as well-- DO school and MD residency. I don't think you'd be giving up anything or "selling out" as far as being a DO... just having the chance to experience more.:thumbup: