Can a DO get MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from someone that if you graduate from a DO school, you can get your MD. I am not sure if this could happen but I was told all you have to do is take and pass the USMLE. Anyone here likewise? The only reason why I ask this is because Mike Schafer from NYCOM said that back awhile ago, osteopaths offered a couse for MD to get their DO. Anything would help clarify this confusion.

Members don't see this ad.

They can go to MD school for another 4 years. I don't understand why anyone would do that. It is not like a MD has any more training or qualifications than a DO. About the USMLE tests, when MD, DO, and FMD students take it, in no way does it change your degree.

Originally posted by wholly
I heard from someone that if you graduate from a DO school, you can get your MD.

Well..you could marry one!? Other than that, no. There was some deal back when UC Davis became an LCME school that allowed it's graduates to change their degree from a DO to a MD. I don't know of any other exceptions.

Back in the 60's the state of California told DO's that they could pay a fee (I think it was $60) and become MD's. They did this because they wanted to eliminate DO's from the state. The DO school there at the time was turned into an MD school and no new DO's were allowed to start practicing, only the DO's that had been there before. It was a short lived experiement.

Nowadays there's no way someone with a DO degree can exchange it for an MD degree. If they were that interchangable there would be no purpose to have DO schools in the first place.