Interesting Take - Canadian MD vs US DO

Started by sky778
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sky778

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After going through the process I feel like ending up doing USDO turned out better than if I were to do Canadian MD. Super strong emphasis on primary care with essentially everyone I know matching either family medicine or internal medicine. I ended up matching anesthesiology but I was hardly top of my class. In the Canadian system you almost have to be the top of the class for that limited non-primary care spots.

So for Canadians wishing to do non-primary care specialties - is it a wiser choice To do DO?
 
Is it not similar in the USA? Granted I'm an American applying from Canada going to a USDO school and have barely looked at Canadian schools, but I'd imagine that with 6 board exams, DO bias, and disadvantages in research and rotations, matching competitively is a steep climb from USDO as well.
 
Is it not similar in the USA? Granted I'm an American applying from Canada going to a USDO school and have barely looked at Canadian schools, but I'd imagine that with 6 board exams, DO bias, and disadvantages in research and rotations, matching competitively is a steep climb from USDO as well.
Not true at all. There are historical DO programs that only take DOs (anesthesiology, ortho, derm etc). And looking at the matching results from DO schools and compare that to Canadian MDs.