Can a Linguistics class satisfy the English Pre-Req?

Started by omegaz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sounds like it. But basically schools have the last word. Generally, it's a class that has heavy writing throughout.
 
I wouldn't think so. Linguistics classes, according to the AAMC classification guide, fall under "Foreign Languages, Linguistics, and Literature" (FLAN), not English. A Linguistics class is notably different from an English class in my experience, anyway, so I'm not sure you'd have an argument for fighting the classification.

But every school's classes may be different.
 
The class covers the linguistics of the United States.

Linguistics classes at my college were more similar to math, science, or logic courses than to any English class.

Some schools might accept it but I wouldn't count on it, and as noted above, it's not going to be classified as English by AMCAS either.