Can a med student be corresponding author

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am submitting a manuscript for which I wrote the entire thing and am first author. I thought that physicians/professors were supposed to be corresponding authors but this professor isn’t very quick with responding to emails and such. Would it be bad to list myself as corresponding author?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was corresponding and first author on a paper. ERAS doesn’t ask for the corresponding author so programs won’t know. The professor on the paper was listed as last author and asked me to be the corresponding author

I was corresponding and first author on a paper. ERAS doesn’t ask for the corresponding author so programs won’t know. The professor on the paper was listed as last author and asked me to be the corresponding author
Yes I was mainly wondering if it looks bad to the journal

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can be corresponding author. I am for several manuscripts and handle the submission/editing process while the PI is last author.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody can be the corresponding author. It's probably easiest for whoever is doing the submitting to be corresponding author so it's under their account and you don't have to log in under someone else. There can be hidden benefits of someone more well known being corresponding author depending on who your PI is. In those cases, might be better to have them as corresponding because the submission will show up under their name immediately and may make people look twice.

Corresponding author just means that any questions and requests about the article (like if another researcher wants the article or a news outlet wants to get in touch) goes to them, your contact info is listed in the paper; the submitter is not necessarily the corresponding author, nor is there any specific benefit (hidden or otherwise) to being corresponding author; most high quality journals have blinded reviewers , only editors know who the authors are

Basically go for it if you want

Sure. Just make sure you use an email address you're not going to lose at graduation. In case, you know, someone has a question about your paper in 5 years.