Optics of co-first author listed second in author list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When residency programs are reviewing publications and come across a paper with two first authors, is this co-first authorship readily obvious? Alphabetically, if one's name comes later and they are thus listed second in the list, will they be perceived as second author even though they are a co-first author? I imagine some of that nuance can be lost if someone is reviewing the application quickly, or is this something that is specifically looked out for? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, optically the significance of co-first authorship can be lost, but it's not a huge deal. You should mark both names with an asterisk and at the end of citation notate "*=co-first author"

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, optically the significance of co-first authorship can be lost, but it's not a huge deal. You should mark both names with an asterisk and at the end of citation notate "*=co-first author"
In this case, is it a bad idea to put my own name first on my CV/ERAS just to ensure that it's clear that I am first author, in addition to the asterisk convention? Or would keeping the alphabetical order and just adding the asterisks be enough to overcome this issue?

In this case, is it a bad idea to put my own name first on my CV/ERAS just to ensure that it's clear that I am first author, in addition to the asterisk convention? Or would keeping the alphabetical order and just adding the asterisks be enough to overcome this issue?
You can’t alter the actual citation. The order is the order

Reactions: 1 users
At the end of the day, it's not going to matter. First versus second isn't something that people will split hairs about when reviewing your application.

Reactions: 1 user
You're over thinking it

Reactions: 1 user