Can a personal statement be TOO personal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartsounds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an MSIII, thinking about writing a personal statement for why I want to go into OB/GYN (I'm thinking ahead). I want to talk about why OB and maternal/fetal care makes me so happy and fulfilled. But if I was going to answer truthfully, I'd have to say that it has a lot do to with my mom's suicide in the summer after my first year of med school. It makes me so happy to see expectant mother's full of boundless love and hope for their babies, doing everything they can to make sure they enter the world safe and healthy. I think my abdonment by my own mother has a lot to do with why I enjoy seeing so much devotion in expectant mothers, and why I want to spend the rest of my life helping them. But is all this WAY TOO personal for a personal statement? Are residency directors going to read this and say, jeez, this one's a psycho-path! or, jeez, this one needs some serious therapy! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am no where near qualified to give any advice to you. Just finished my clerkship in OB/GYN. But one thing occured to me when I read your post and that is that while most mothers are "filled with boundless love and hope" for their babies, many of them are also addicted to crack or heroin, drinking and smoking, interested in aborting, on their 9th pregnancy with 8 different fathers, etc. I guess if I were you I'd be sure to mention that you're aware that OB isn't all flowers and sunshine because they might think you're a little unrealistic and setting yourself up for disappointment.

First, I'm sorry that happened to you, that is really sad. As for the ps. I don't think you should include it in the way you stated. b/c it will show how much your mothers death still effects you (as it should), however i'll have to agree that not all expectant mothers are full of love and residency directors will pick up on that. If you want to include it as a growing experience. Say, how your mother's death made you a better person, showed how you can survive and do well in any situation (hey you're about to be a doctor). Especially if you did extremely well that year your mother died, it shows you're a fighter and i think any residency program would appreciate that. but be prepared to maybe have to talk about it during interviews. if you feel you can't talk about it with people without breaking down i would not include it. I hope this helps. Also realize that anything we write is just our opinion, in the end you have to write what's real and right for you. :)

Jules1231 said:
Especially if you did extremely well that year your mother died, it shows you're a fighter and i think any residency program would appreciate that. but be prepared to maybe have to talk about it during interviews. :)
I agree with this statement see my posting for ACOG tips web site
Diane