Can a US physician work in Australia without AUS residency?

Started by ATP to ADP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ATP to ADP

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a US IMG in Australia and fully plan to do residency and practice in the US. However, I love the global experience and am wondering if practicing in Australia can be an option later in my career.

I read Ben Carson's biography and he mentions that after his US neurosurgery residency, he worked in Australia for a year as a senior registrar. Granted, this was in the 80's and he's arguably one of the most talented neurosurgeons ever (politics aside), but is this possible nowadays?
 
Yes, you can work as a fellow. Fellowships are popular for travel and learning what departments in other countries do.
These last about a year each.

There are Australians who travel to the UK/US/Canada for fellowship and vice versa.
On the actual process of applying for these, I've no idea. If you're doing rotations in Australia, it wouldn't hurt to ask the department you're rotating through.