Can any NYCOM students give me some info? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabidsushi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted into the BS/DO program at NYIT/NYCOM.
The office of addmissions wants a reply within 30 days, so I need some help in making the following decisions:

1. If i should accept...
2. If i should stay at the Central Islip Campus or if I should live off campus at Old Westbury.

Please give me some info and your impressions of the program...thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should take up the NYCOM BS/DO offer because NYIT is a very, very weak undergraduate institution. You'll be devoting the rest of your life AFTER college to the pursuit of medicine and healthcare, why railroad yourself into it now, fresh out of high school?

College will be the only time in your life where you'll get to do and learn ANYTHING you want. Be premed if you have to, but don't take the BS/DO offer now.

I'm sure you'll get a NYCOM acceptance later if you worked for it in college, but why not take the chance of growing up before deciding that medicine is the only thing in your life? You won't regret it... Unless you totally screw up in college, but that doesn't happen to people smart enough to get into combined programs.
wink.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

I'm a senior pre-med student at NYIT-Old Westbury. I chose to be pre-med rather than BS/DO (was accepted into BS/DO in '97). Many of my friends are BS/DO's and they regret it. The school has a few professors (approx. 3) teaching all your classes so you only get a narrow perspective on a subject.

Also, many BS/DOs drop out of NYCOM during their 1st year because of the weak preparation. Don't believe the hype. You have an equal chance of getting into NYCOM if you are pre-med.

I was dead set on attending NYCOM, but I'm going to UNECOM this coming fall for the following reasons....

NYCOM's entering class is getting close to 300, they have little clinical exposure during 1st/2nd years, 6-7 people per cadaver, NYCOM also has a lot of transition in faculty. They are known for their pharmacology and Dr. Mancini is leaving next year, so there goes that.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend going into the program. If you want to go pre-med, do it at another institution. Queens College prepares students much better than NYIT (I should know since I transferred from QC to NYIT---BIG MISTAKE). Anyway, look around and do your research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fill me in.

What's going on at NYCOM?

Just to add to MSafur's comments, a friend of mine here at Downstate is a "graduate" of the BS/DO program -- she didn't go through with it and applied outside.

W.

I don't believe she did.

W.

to mr. tim wu:

i've noticed some negative sentiments from you in your most recent posts (i'm under the impression that you're eagerly racing towards 1,000 posts, by the way--quite a landmark) regarding nycom and its comparison to your med. school (i'm sure we're all familiar with your program by now), and osteo. medicine in general.

for instance: in this thread, the original poster made a query about the strength of the bs/do program and you responded with information that both sullied the quality of the undergrad (which i'm not educated enough about to agree or disagree with you) and the medical program (by documenting one case where your friend opted not to continue into the osteo. program and applied to suny-brooklyn instead) which i find comparable to many others and, in some instances, better.

on another thread, you candidly mentioned that osteo. graduates would face the same problems when applying to specialty residencies as caribbean med. graduates?!? (i couldn't disagree more with this assumption).

care to explain your uncharacteristic sour opinion of osteo. institutions?

survey says........ I do know a lot of BSDOs. A lot of them , if they could do it differently, would have done something different for undergrad. After seven years of seeing the same people, you get really sick of it..... and this is not to say they would not go to NYCOM. It mainly referred to entering via the BSDO route, thats all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Vegeta:
to mr. tim wu:

i've noticed some negative sentiments from you in your most recent posts (i'm under the impression that you're eagerly racing towards 1,000 posts, by the way--quite a landmark) regarding nycom and its comparison to your med. school (i'm sure we're all familiar with your program by now), and osteo. medicine in general.

for instance: in this thread, the original poster made a query about the strength of the bs/do program and you responded with information that both sullied the quality of the undergrad (which i'm not educated enough about to agree or disagree with you) and the medical program (by documenting one case where your friend opted not to continue into the osteo. program and applied to suny-brooklyn instead) which i find comparable to many others and, in some instances, better.

on another thread, you candidly mentioned that osteo. graduates would face the same problems when applying to specialty residencies as caribbean med. graduates?!? (i couldn't disagree more with this assumption).

care to explain your uncharacteristic sour opinion of osteo. institutions?

I told of my friend here who was a BS/DO student from NYIT/NYCOM because MSafur mentioned he was going to UNECOM, even though he's a BS/DO student at NYIT. The original poster asking about the BS/DO program should understand that his options are still open despite being in the program. He doesn't have to go to NYCOM if he doesn't want to, and just because I tell him that he shouldn't enter the BS/DO program doesn't mean my opinion of NYCOM has changed at all. I think it's still one of the best osteopathic medical schools, and I think its program is incredibly strong.

Am I to understand that you don't think osteopathic graduates face difficulty in matching to highly competitive allopathic prorgams? They're not insurmountable, but I'm not gonna lie to anyone and say that osteopathic med school grads face absolutely no problem in getting into certain highly competitive programs. I also don't lie to myself, thinking that I won't have trouble with getting into some highly competitive programs. Grades aside, my institution's academic standing isn't all that great, and I understand that this will spell some trouble with matching to programs like Mass General and it practically wipes out most decent programs out West.

NYIT is not a strong undergraduate institution. I could never advise anyone to go there in the hopes of going to medical school. I'd tell a student to attend a CUNY campus before I'd tell a student to go to NYIT for his bachelors degree.

Being candid in my responses, as opposed to being PC, is important to me. Just because a few egos may be hurt isn't reason enough for me to not give the most accurate picture.

None of the comments you're complaining about are new coming from me. I've written the same stuff over and over again on SDN.

W.