Can anyone explain this probability question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q:
A pair of dice is rolled. A possible event is rolling a multiple of 5. What is the probability of the complement of this event?

The answer is: 29/36

That means that the probability of the event happening is 7/(6*6)
But I don't understand how the number of desired outcomes is 7.
A multiple of 5 would be: 5 and 10. But from there I'm lost on coming up with 7.

ALSO..... how about this one?

Q: Find the sum of the roots of the equation:

(Square root of [x-1]) + (Square root of [2x-1]) = x

Answer: x= 1, 5 so the sum is 6
I think the algebra is tripping me up or something but I cannot figure this out for the life of me.
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not very good at explaining stuff, but I'll try...

The only multiples of 5 you can roll are 5 and 10. So the possible dice pairs you can roll are:

1 and 4
2 and 3
4 and 6
5 and 5

The chance of rolling each one is 1/6, but leave out the 1/6 for the reappearing # rolls - only count the 4 roll once (from the rolls of 1 and 4 and 4 and 6. This should give you 7/6 which you would then multiply by 1/6 for the probablilty of getting any one of these numbers in a roll. That should give you 7/36. I hope you could understand that! My method of explanation is not very clear. Anyone else feel free come chime in and clarify.

What's likely tripping you up is that rolling say
1 : 4
is different then
4 : 1 because each test has two independent trials (i.e. rolling die 1 has no impact on the outcome of die 2).

So the successes are
1 - 1 : 4
2 - 2 : 3
3 - 4 : 6
4 - 5 : 5
5 - 6 : 4
6 - 3 : 2
7 - 4 : 1

So that's 7 successes over 6^2 possibilities. The compliment is 1 - P(X), the probability of the event or 29/36.

1) “A possible event is rolling a multiple of 5” means that sum of a pair dice is equal 5 or 10.
These are 7 possibilities: (1, 4) (2, 3) (3, 2) (4, 1) (4, 6) (5, 5) and (6, 4).

The complement is 6*6 -7 = 29. Its probability is 29/6*6 = 29/36. That’s it!

2) sqr(x-1) + sqr(2x-1) = x
Take square both sides then
(x-1) + 2*sqr(x-1)(2x-1) + (2x-1) = x^2
3x-2 + 2*sqr(x-1)(2x-1) = x^2
2*sqr(x-1)(2x-1) = x^2 -3x+2
2*sqr(x-1)(2x-1) = (x-1)(x-2)
Both sides have a MULTIPLE of sqr(x-1), so we have x=1 as one solution

2*sqr(2x-1) = [sqr(x-1)]*(x-2)
Take square both sides then
4(2x-1) = (x-1)*(x-2)^2
8x-4 = (x-1)*(x^2-4x+4)
8x-4 = x^3-4x^2+4x-x^2 +4x-4
8x-4 = x^3-5x^2+8x-4
0 = x^3-5x^2
0 = x^2*(x-5)
x=0 and x=5

Check : if x=0 then the original equation becomes sqr(-1) + sqr (-1) = 0: nonsense. Therefore, x=0 is eliminated.

The remaining solutions is x=1 and x=5.

Note: It is very time comsuming, so I don't think it will be in a real PCAT test! Don't worry!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys so much! I am clear on the probability for sure :thumbup:

CURY,
Thanks for your explanation on the second problem. I'm following it pretty well but I'm just gonna copy/paste this section I don't understand:

A)2*sqr(x-1)(2x-1) = (x-1)(x-2)

B)2*sqr(2x-1) = [sqr(x-1)]*(x-2)

Okay, from the point where you say that both sides have a multiple of sqr(x-1)... what did you do? How did you get from the first equation (which I labeled A) to the second equation (B)? From that point on I follow it... Thank you for that detailed explanation!
I'm sure you're right about the PCAT not having such a time consuming problem. Math is definitley my worst area. I'm freaking out just a little :laugh: :scared: :laugh:

ndearwater said:
CURY,
Thanks for your explanation on the second problem. I'm following it pretty well but I'm just gonna copy/paste this section I don't understand:

B)2*sqr(2x-1) = [sqr(x-1)]*(x-2)

Okay, from the point where you say that both sides have a multiple of sqr(x-1)... what did you do? How did you get from the first equation (which I labeled A) to the second equation (B)? From that point on I follow it... Thank you for that detailed explanation!
I'm sure you're right about the PCAT not having such a time consuming problem. Math is definitley my worst area. I'm freaking out just a little :laugh: :scared: :laugh:

[as I wrote sqr(x-1)(2x-1), meaning that sqr(x-1)*sqr(2x-1). The remainings are still correct!]

i.e. that
2*sqr(x-1)*sqr(2x-1) = (x-1)(x-2)
2*sqr(x-1)*sqr(2x-1) = [sqr(x-1)]^2 * (x-2)
Both sides have the same sqr(x-1), so
[sqrt(x-1)]*{2*sqr(2x-1) - [sqr(x-1)]*(x-2)} = 0
then each factor is equal 0
i.e.:
sqr(x-1) = 0 --> x=1 (as one solution)

and 2*sqr(2x-1) - [sqr(x-1)]*(x-2) = 0
--> B) 2*sqr(2x-1) = [sqr(x-1)]*(x-2)