Probability of pharmacy school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ti_SH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently planning to apply to pharmacy school next year, but I dont have much information regarding what makes an individual competitive (I was pre-med and just recently decided to apply to pharmacy).

My PCAT (July 2016) results

Chemistry: 99
Biology: 97
Quantitative: 62
Reading comprehension: 65
Composite: 95

I'm currently worried about my QR and RC percentile marks because they seem pretty low, although my composite is pretty high. Does that make a difference?

My GPA: 3.72 (but hopefully my fourth year will make it around 3.8).
My extracurriculars:
I have a ton of volunteering experiences for the past four years, I'm on a board of a non-profit organization, exec of a couple school clubs, organized two major charity campaigns, I've done research for 4 years, one of the years was a full time internship in a lab, and the other 3 was in a hospital and school, I have a couple publications submitted, and a couple conference papers as well (not too sure how relevant this is for pharmacy). I have no experience working at a pharmacy and I'm scared this might affect my chances of getting in?

I'm applying to UofT and Waterloo.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I'm currently planning to apply to pharmacy school next year, but I dont have much information regarding what makes an individual competitive (I was pre-med and just recently decided to apply to pharmacy).

I'm currently worried about my QR and RC percentile marks because they seem pretty low, although my composite is pretty high. Does that make a difference?

My extracurriculars:
I have a ton of volunteering experiences for the past four years, I'm on a board of a non-profit organization, exec of a couple school clubs, organized two major charity campaigns, I've done research for 4 years, one of the years was a full time internship in a lab, and the other 3 was in a hospital and school, I have a couple publications submitted, and a couple conference papers as well (not too sure how relevant this is for pharmacy). I have no experience working at a pharmacy and I'm scared this might affect my chances of getting in?

What do you guys think?
I dont know anything about the schools you want to go to but from the statistics you've provided I would say you're very competitive compared to many I've seen on this form. Most pharmacy schools favor the chemistry subscore if they look further into the PCAT score besides the composite. I also hear that they favor EC if they have to choose between two strong candidates which you do have. You've volunteered in a hospital environment so you have exposure to the medical field, I would say you're good! Contact the schools with your stats and ask if you're still worried.

Hey everyone!

My extracurriculars:

What do you guys think?

I'm looking at UofT and Waterloo too! I can't give any good advice on the PCAT since I just took it for the first time yesterday as well. You're probably already aware that Waterloo doesn't require you to write the PCAT so I wouldn't worry too much. I've heard that Waterloo is based much more on work experience and extracurriculars whereas UofT tends to favor high GPA and PCAT scores. Hope that helped a bit and best of luck (maybe we'll be classmates)! :D